Is sycamore firewood any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience has been similar to some others here. Sycamore in NW Pennsylvania has a lot of water and is the most miserable wood I have ever attempted to split. Told my tree guy to never bring it to me again!
Mine goes right into the Chipper, because it splits like hell!

How is it for kindling? By that, I mean is it easy to light with a match?

I've never tried to burn it. I've had access to a fair amount of it over the years, but that farm is loaded with shagbark so there was no reason to mess with it. We'd cut an occasional ash or walnut if they were already dead, but mostly standing dead hickory. I'm always looking for something to use for kindling though.

I think that you need to be careful to remember where you took the dog for a walk!
That is so funny and true. I had to start clearing a sewer line tonight and the darn dog decided it was time to take a roll in the "freshness" of the effluent.

All joking aside the ole timers her would claim they could tell you the acidity of soil by tasting it. I hate ate a lot of dirt but not by choice........

How is it for kindling? By that, I mean is it easy to light with a match?

I've never tried to burn it. I've had access to a fair amount of it over the years, but that farm is loaded with shagbark so there was no reason to mess with it. We'd cut an occasional ash or walnut if they were already dead, but mostly standing dead hickory. I'm always looking for something to use for kindling though.
excellent for kindling. lights easily, burns fast and hot

All joking aside the ole timers her would claim they could tell you the acidity of soil by tasting it. I hate ate a lot of dirt but not by choice........
That was a fairly common practice when I was a kid, I saw farmers doing that, but I never saw my dad do it. lol

SR

Latest posts

Back