Is this a locust sapling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Found this this morning growing in a field I know was mowed down this summer, it is already like two feet and change high. Hope the pics are clear enough to see the leaves and thorns.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks more like what we call a thorn tree over here. I think they're some kind of acacia. The leaves look a little small to be locust, but I'm no expert.

Gleditsia tricanthos: so named because of the branching thorns.
Honey locust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, that be a honey locust. If it isn't, it sure looks like one to me. Most people know them best as their thornless domesticated variety, the celebrated Shademaster locust. Skyline is popular, too.

I had one of my Shademassters revert and develop those thorns everywhere. It didn't survive the day I saw it. That was 5 or 6 years ago but I got two "thorn flats" in that area this summer.

Harry K

Thanks guys! I'll leave it alone until next year, see what the flowers look like. If this sapling is here, must be some big ones around. Although I probably should just dig it up and move it now someplace way outta the way where I won't be driving a tractor around....

Dig the tree right after the leaves have fallen and replant it. They grow fast the first 10 yrs. Then slow down after that.

Dig the tree right after the leaves have fallen and replant it. They grow fast the first 10 yrs. Then slow down after that.

thanks! I'll put it in a pot in the greenhouse, then find a suitable *remote* location for it next year.

The seeds are really easy to spot, they come in a large (6 - 8" long) pod, that is brown and looks like a giant dried up flat green been.

thanks! I'll put it in a pot in the greenhouse, then find a suitable *remote* location for it next year.

Find someone with a lot of acres...somebody you really don't like too well...Give them a present.

Call it a peace offering, but don't tell them about it. They will really thank you in 25 years.

LOL. My neighbor is a real piece of work. I have 30 black locust trees planted 15' apart on our lot line. These are 3 yrs old , 10'+ tall. Already dropping seeds and spreading! I love it.

Find someone with a lot of acres...somebody you really don't like too well...Give them a present.

Call it a peace offering, but don't tell them about it. They will really thank you in 25 years.

I'll just watch it some. Yes, I know they have thorns, we have multiflora here too.

I'll just watch it some. Yes, I know they have thorns, we have multiflora here too.

Honey locust don't just "have" thorns. They are what multiflora rose aspire to be when they grow up.

Seriously, I have seen lots of honey locust with thorns 3 feet long with MANY additional branching thorns on the thorns. They are typically so thorny on the trunk, even squirrels can't climb them.

If the French had planted honey locust on the Maginot line instead of concrete bunkers, the Germans would never have tried to cross it. World history would be different.

Funny thing about the honey locust: they really aren't too bad to climb.

You need to strip the thorns off with your chainsaw. Use the top of the bar, and sweep the trunk clear of thorns. If you screw up and use the bottom of the bar, you will get punctured repeatedly by all the flying thorns. Once you get about 10'-15' up the tree, almost all the thorns disappear. The canopy has almost no thorns in it.

God help the poor groundies that have to rake up all the thorns though. They will come right through tennis shoes, and thick boots are not really too safe. They will easily go through tractor tires.

Funny thing about the honey locust: they really aren't too bad to climb.

You need to strip the thorns off with your chainsaw. Use the top of the bar, and sweep the trunk clear of thorns. If you screw up and use the bottom of the bar, you will get punctured repeatedly by all the flying thorns. Once you get about 10'-15' up the tree, almost all the thorns disappear. The canopy has almost no thorns in it.

God help the poor groundies that have to rake up all the thorns though. They will come right through tennis shoes, and thick boots are not really too safe. They will easily go through tractor tires.

Once you have cleaned the thorns off the tree, or cut the tree down, or let it grow, or...never, but never, ever drive a rubber-tired peice of equipment in that area again!!!

Hary K

Back