Is this a Red Oak, and could I transplant it successfully?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbas_son

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This nice tree is way too close to our house... in the past couple of summers it has shot up to probably to 10' or more, and the trunk is about 1.5" in diameter. I only want to move it about 15 feet farther away from the house. I was thinking if I dig about 2 ft. around it and approx. a foot or 2 deep, it might stand a chance?

By the way, the pictures were taken back in Nov. No leaves on it now, and it has been a cold spring here in NJ, so I hope it is still a good time to transplant. I will pull out the boxwoods that are pictured under it- hoping the roots aren't too entangled...

Thanks for your thoughts,
J.140823.jpg141032.jpg

Does look like Red oak. I've rarely had luck moving one that size, but you might have a green thumb. You might consider having someone with a transplanter to move it. Looks like a nice tree.

Tree spade would make it easier still fall would be best! Do not plant it too deep and roots you prune use disinfected tools and feather the planting hole use the natural soil and mulch it after planting then water deep soaker hose for 4 or 5 hours don't put the mulch up to the bark! Water again deeply if weather is dry!

You will find out it is a heck of a lot of work and very heavy which will be the hard part getting it out after you form the ball! Also root stimulant on the pruned roots wouldn't hurt!

I moved an American elm in July here in Texas, but the clay soil made it easy to get a large root ball. It was 4' across and about 2' deep. Even during the heat of the summer a weekly watering was all it needed. Ropensaddle is right, it is a LOT of work and will take a large chunk of your time. I probobly spent 25 hours or more moving this one. You may decided your time is worth enough that your better off cutting that tree and buying a new one. If you do move it, start big with the root ball, it will get smaller as you dig under it and try to move it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170520_165725.jpg
    IMG_20170520_165725.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170517_190033.jpg
    IMG_20170517_190033.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
This nice tree is way too close to our house... in the past couple of summers it has shot up to probably to 10' or more, and the trunk is about 1.5" in diameter. I only want to move it about 15 feet farther away from the house. I was thinking if I dig about 2 ft. around it and approx. a foot or 2 deep, it might stand a chance?

By the way, the pictures were taken back in Nov. No leaves on it now, and it has been a cold spring here in NJ, so I hope it is still a good time to transplant. I will pull out the boxwoods that are pictured under it- hoping the roots aren't too entangled...

Thanks for your thoughts,
J.View attachment 648443View attachment 648444
You're right to want to move that Red Oak tree.
It's WAY too close to the house.
I would plant it no closer then say 50 feet from house.
Just like the other guys said, Be vigilant with keeping a large root ball, use burlap around the ball and plant the burlap with the tree, have your hole prepared and not too deep (top line of flares should line up from old to new).
Water for hours after replanting. Then mulch over but not touching bark of tree. I would make my mulch ring about 4 feet across for that size tree which means removing any grass to make a four foot circle around the tree. Mulch keeps the water from evaporating too quick.

Back