Is this Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I want to say thank you to all on this site who provide such excellent information. I enjoy reading and learning from your posts.
Experts, please chime in with your opinion on these pics.
Thanks again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It sure looks like elm. Try to split some of it by hand. If you do this :censored: a lot, it's elm. :laugh:

:agree2:

Elm is nasty to split by hand...if it just seems to tear apart, good chance it's elm.

I got some chinese elm this last month and split it by hand while it was still very green - not too bad, really.

But I'm sure American/Red elm is a total pain w/o a hydraulic splitter.

Last edited:
After trying to split it with a splitter last year.....I srieked like a little girl when I saw those picks. Started having flashbacks. That was the first wood that ever stopped my splitter in its tracks.

I'll let you know when I split the big stuff. I split a few small ones without a problem. (I got a big gnarly homemade splitter so I'm not too worried) I also have some pics as it was coming down if you're interested. I can throw in a pic of my splitter also.

Pics

I live in Appleton and work in Little Chute.

Here are some pictures: (splitter to follow)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notice the guy in the tree
attachment.php

The big rounds in front were from a different cutting (I think it's maple or oak)

attachment.php

Here's the splitter

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Egine is a Craftsman 16hp cast iron block from a 70's era riding mower.
Pump is a Haldex 16gmp 2-stage.
Ram is a Chief 24" stroke, 4" bore, 2.25" rod.
Trailer is old military.
It operates at 2800 psi

Cool old splitter. Is there negative tongue weight on it? It sure looks like a bunch of weight behind the axle.

Note: we are picture junkies on here, don't stop taking them!

attachment.php

Cool old splitter. Is there negative tongue weight on it? It sure looks like a bunch of weight behind the axle.

Note: we are picture junkies on here, don't stop taking them!

attachment.php

It's not negative, but it isn't much. I don't travel with it, I bring the wood to the splitter.

Back