Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what was going on when one of these failures happened? Was it being used as normal? Was it running full speed when it happened? Was the blower used as it should? Was any modifications done to the blower?
Did the gear just "crumble"???
What does Stihl say????
The one in the pic was at WOT.
That's the only one I know for sure.....
The throttle cable was stuck at WOT...Lol!
Stihl tracks parts demand, so they know how durable their cam gears aren't.
I'm sure if they could make them stronger, they would.
-or who knows; maybe it is a designed weak point if something gets in a bind.

Thanks though.
I just looked it up myself.

Funny,
that part had 03' moulded in it. I guess that means something else. Lol

The unit was purchased and Registered 05/14/2014, and to the commercial Lawn customer who brought it in.
No record of any warranty ever performed.
Does that bring up all dealers?

We encourage the lawn guys to bring the blowers in end of season for a valve adjustment/check and that has reduced many of the failures. I have some very high hour machines in for routine work so it is not a common thing. Cant comment on other makes since no one has them around here.

How long a BR600 last seems random. The Company I got these blowers from bought 4 of them at the same time, one went down after a month " that's the one I put a new bottom end in" the other three ran OK for about a season before one bent a push rod, the other sounds like it has gravel in it, and the last one is still running two years later. The valves were always adjusted, and the one I have looked perfect in side, with a nice coating of oil. My dealer's says some run forever some go pretty quick, says the BR500 and 550 are more reliable. This Same Company has been running Echo blowers for two years now without a single issue, they also switched to Echo trimmers.

Hey just read through this thread. very interesting! I have not worked on one of these yet. Is the BR600 engine an "interference" design? By "interference" I mean do the valves hit the piston when fully open?
No they aren't, not nearly that advanced and likely too much play in the valve train for that.

i have, i just super glue that one back together :rolleyes::rolleyes: lol jk. main cause is the valves be out of adjustment. also on the four mix, if you take the trimmer guide off and the small blower tips off the blower it causes the engine to run hotter causing the valve and valve guides to stick. i have worked on the 4 mix like @alexcagle has the concrete saws.i heard new 4 mixes will have a computer on them so they can tell if you have removed the above guards

Just rebuilt a low hour br600 that had a bad crank bearing, which means it needed a new crank. Have another one that sounds like it has gravel in it when pulled over, haven't diagnosed it yet, probably just going to toss this one in the garbage.

IMHO these blowers are homeowner quality. They do make good power and are comfortable to use, I'll give them that.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

@Definitive Dave and i was talking about these bearings. said he was going to try to stock them on his ebay store. i install new bearing all the time. i also upgrade to skf seals, stihl seals on the blowers are junk!!!

@Definitive Dave and i was talking about these bearings. said he was going to try to stock them on his ebay store. i install new bearing all the time. i also upgrade to skf seals, stihl seals on the blowers are junk!!!
You install new crank bearings on br600? How do you get the cam gear off the crank, and back on indexed correctly? Looking at the parts diagram Stihl doesn't even offer the bearings individually. As far as I know it's not possible to replace the pto side bearing do to the cam gear.

i have, i just super glue that one back together :rolleyes::rolleyes: lol jk. main cause is the valves be out of adjustment. also on the four mix, if you take the trimmer guide off and the small blower tips off the blower it causes the engine to run hotter causing the valve and valve guides to stick. i have worked on the 4 mix like @alexcagle has the concrete saws.i heard new 4 mixes will have a computer on them so they can tell if you have removed the above guards

The valves out of adjustment cause the cam gear to grenade?

Yes.We had a unit that Had ****** bearing rich guy said he would just buy another. I keep on running it around house to see how long it would run few trimmings later and the cam look like a 500 piece puzzle

Latest posts

Back