Is this worth a log load?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnVander

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm not a logger but I have access to these trees. They are close and fairly close to the road. Are they worth much? I also have accsess to a good stand of alder. How does the split between the loader/ trucker and the faller go?

Thanks
John

Western Red Cedar
10'7"x 75'
7'3" x 75
5'7" X 55'

Western Hemlock
7'2" X 80'
4'7" x 80'

Doug Fir
6'2" X 95'
4' X 70'

Big Leaf Maple
4'9" X 55'

Cottonwood
12'4" x 150'

Cary, John's talking circumference! All the sort yards I sell to will buy that wood....except the cottonwood, if peeler quality, needs to go to a separate place, for $250 mbf, versus $75 at the sort yards. And the 2 bigger cedars would be the money logs. Was just on the phone with John when his cell phone went dead. He said the cedars had fairly low taper, so that means up to $1100 mbf. The fir/hem sounds smallish, should maybe be cut 16-24 feet, but good short logs are bringing $500-525 now, the best in years. Maple is too small, but it is paying up to $700 for bigger stuff.

As well, he has a big fir for me to look at that someone bid $2600 on...sounds like we could get a crane to it, so we could likely beat that price if we got the wood, maybe 2000-3000 bf.

Last edited:
Pi, divide the circumfrence of those trees by 3.14, and you will get your diameter.

Neil

Maybe, but how would Veronicamedes and Jugheadmedes do it?

I've heard <sup>22</sup><i>/</i><sub>7</sub> is a fair approximation if all you've got to work with is some dust and a stick to do your cipherin'.

I. Newton

I dont care much for fractions, I just end up simplifying them anyways to decimal form.

3.14 goes on without end. There are computers figuring it out, and they have been for 20 years or so. Like most decimals, they stop at like .02258888888888, 8 being the last, well 3.14 keeps going and going. Hasnt stoped yet.

Neil

What, like the Energizer bunny?&nbsp; 3.14 is <i>exactly</i> three and fourteen hundredths.&nbsp; No more, no less.

Must be that dang modern math...

Back