Any Loggerists out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnVander

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm not a logger but I have access to these trees. They can all be felled. They are close and fairly close to the road. Are they worth much? Do log truck drivers come out for mixed loads. I also have accsess to a good stand of alder. How does the split between the loader/ trucker and the faller go?

Thanks
John

Western Red Cedar
10'7"x 75'
7'3" x 75
5'7" X 55'

Western Hemlock
7'2" X 80'
4'7" x 80'

Doug Fir
6'2" X 95'
4' X 70'

Big Leaf Maple
4'9" X 55'

Cottonwood
12'4" x 150'

Hey John,

Call me if you still have my number.
I'll help you out with tips and or the job.

Loggerist, eh?!
:D

Hi John, if they are "city trees", they may have limited value, but should go for saw timber at the least. If the logs are not cut first for grade and yeild it will further degrade their value. Ask around about prices/thou. and the lengths they want. Learn about scale and grade. Sawmills can smell a greehorn a mile away.
Roger should be able to help you out alot.
Roger, are you slill getting 15$ a foot for Bigleaf Maple? LOL
John

John,

I've yet to find or sell any figured maple. Straight maple brings 400-700 mbf. But if and when I cut this behemoth down, there oughta be some good stuff in it. I'll have to start looking for buyers too.

Hi Roger, that is an excellent example of the rare Fiddleback, Quilted, Tiger Striped ,Crotch Grained, Birds Eye, Curly Broadleaf Maple.
I'm shure that tree will be taller horizonal then it is vertical, and the butt end will be 30' off the ground when it's laying down.
Will you be removing those huge limbs before falling, or will you dump it lock, stock and barrel?
John

LEARNING

I have been falling trees off and on for the last few years. Everytime I fall with my father or grandfather they seem to have a diffrent style and niether has no past in logging. I would love to learn from some pros. I would be willing to travel in western washington and work for free if someone could teach me some good skills.

I hope it is figured, John!

The maple is maybe 80 feet tall, but 103 foot crown spread at it's widest. I don't know when I'll get to do the job..there is also a ton of smaller maple, alder and madrona....a track hoe could do them all, but I think the client will let us drop the trees...maybe the hoe could feed the chipper....

I looked at an amazing elm today, 4.5 feet dbh, over 100 feet wide, that has structural problems, and will require considerable crown reduction. It'll be about a $3000 prune job, plus street closure and flagging costs. We'll employ many of the techniques recommended by Klaus Mattheck.

Latest posts

Back