Is Tree Care Recession Proof?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLEARVIEW TREE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the looming economy? Treecare here in Tn. has been really good to me the last 3 mths, however times could change quick ya know. I do believe that it is somewhat recession proof, especially if a person sells firewood to his customers(alt. heating for the home):monkey: . My normal business is removal of hazardous trees at local cabin rentals for very wealthy out of towners! Even if it got down to one call a week or even every 2 weeks, i believe that those in populated areas in the tree care arena would be ok. Home owners have to protect their investments. Treecare is a form of insurance for the homeowner, with the maintaining of equity inducing flora, and the removal of equity reducing hazards. There are some smart folks out there on this site, give me your thoughts. Pray for peace, but always train for war ya know!

It's very strange over here in Berkeley. We're doing quite well but we've always targeted higher income people who I think are well off enough around here to survive the downturn. I hear a lot of other companies in my area are crying the blues.

We're scheduled out until the 2nd week of June. Still, I noticed that I've received less calls this week so I'm preparing some mailers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ups n Downs

Im in the sierras of california and a lot of contractors are feeling the heat. Lots of multiple bids. A lot of unlicensed people bidding way to low(hacks}. A lot of yearly regs still calling though.

Recession proof maybe! What we are possibly headed for who knows?
Depression would ruin most but the wealthiest individuals and we are not
far from it. It is almost too expensive to work and customers tend to be
shoppers in this type of economy. Adjusting your price stinks but I have
had to with all the low ballers we have!

Recession proof maybe! What we are possibly headed for who knows?
Depression would ruin most but the wealthiest individuals and we are not
far from it. It is almost too expensive to work and customers tend to be
shoppers in this type of economy. Adjusting your price stinks but I have
had to with all the low ballers we have!

Yep i hear ya. Showed up this eve at 7 to look at a job and guess who was there? The same sob i told yall about that called, posed as a homeowner, and requested prices over the phone like 3 months ago. Of course i never give pricing info over the phone and outta respect for him i can't say the name either. But heh, got the job though. He was my repeat customer, but was price shoppin a lil and didn't tell me the guy was gonna be there at the same time. No biggy though. That guy was proposin to top and hack and when it came my turn the homeowner chose my method set by ISA standards.

AND I have not been in the service but I had to teach myself ' adapt and overcome' AND that is something we should get ready to do, again.

Hey who put their ins. in their sig first?

Oh i see what i did. I just made 3 post when I should have just edited the first one. Sorry. I don't know how to fix it or I would.

Last edited:
It's very strange over here in Berkeley. We're doing quite well but we've always targeted higher income people who I think are well off enough around here to survive the downturn. I hear a lot of other companies in my area are crying the blues.

We're scheduled out until the 2nd week of June. Still, I noticed that I've received less calls this week so I'm preparing some mailers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes it sure is starnge around there no matter who you are or what you are doing.

Yes it sure is starnge around there no matter who you are or what you are doing.

Rumor has it twelve dollars per gallon in two years and maybe those guys ya'all are speaking of are recession proof but no one but the Gov is depression proof as money becomes worthless. I don't know where we are heading and politicians of today give little hope.

I hear recession in the news every day. Around here, I just don't see it. My calls have been on the increase as the gas prices increase. I think people are spending more time at home and want to do more projects around the house instead of taking that vacation.

We Are Up 25% Over Last Years Sales To Date So Do Not Let The News And Big Bis Bs You !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in a city that has just gone through a big boom. Last year we were struggling to find good employees and this year we have someone calling every week looking for a job. We have noticed how many beaten up old pick up trucks with make shift boxes build on the back of em there are driving around full of brush. We are also finding a lot of under cutters out there and people who are jumping at jobs quickly.
The surplus of individuals who think they can run their own tree service is having an effect on most 'good' companies. The thing is most of these people can take a tree down but are lucky if they know how to prune properly or even deal with issues such as tree health, insect & disease diagnosis, etc.
What do you do when there are too many outfits out there all competing for the same work? How do you make your company stick out amongst all of the 'sh*t' ones?

I live in a city that has just gone through a big boom. Last year we were struggling to find good employees and this year we have someone calling every week looking for a job. We have noticed how many beaten up old pick up trucks with make shift boxes build on the back of em there are driving around full of brush. We are also finding a lot of under cutters out there and people who are jumping at jobs quickly.
The surplus of individuals who think they can run their own tree service is having an effect on most 'good' companies. The thing is most of these people can take a tree down but are lucky if they know how to prune properly or even deal with issues such as tree health, insect & disease diagnosis, etc.
What do you do when there are too many outfits out there all competing for the same work? How do you make your company stick out amongst all of the 'sh*t' ones?
Sapling, try to offer something better to the customer than the comp is offerin. But most important strive to be the best. Heck, just goin beyond their expectations should be enough. Good luck to ya man!

I hear recession in the news every day. Around here, I just don't see it. My calls have been on the increase as the gas prices increase. I think people are spending more time at home and want to do more projects around the house instead of taking that vacation.
Exactly zack, i've heard recession for a while and over here just an hour from ya we are getting more calls and jobs than ever! I really here people sayin they are just stayin home due to fuel prices, and that's ok with me.:monkey: Today(saturday) i finished up the week with 8 jobs total, 3 of those were done on wednesday alone,because my help was leavin for the weekend on wed. night. Fuel prices are kinda scary and all, but gettin 20 + calls this week i'm content and keepin my fingas crossed like a good little duggy should.LOL

Yep i hear ya. Showed up this eve at 7 to look at a job and guess who was there? The same sob i told yall about that called, posed as a homeowner, and requested prices over the phone like 3 months ago. Of course i never give pricing info over the phone and outta respect for him i can't say the name either. But heh, got the job though. He was my repeat customer, but was price shoppin a lil and didn't tell me the guy was gonna be there at the same time. No biggy though. That guy was proposin to top and hack and when it came my turn the homeowner chose my method set by ISA standards.

Stories like this have prompted a long greeting on my answering machine. You are really going to have to want to talk to me.
I should be so lucky, when I get a good client I hold on like grim death! But I do not go running evrytime the phone rings, anymore.
To answer the original question with a statement: Mine is. I have a lot of options, this is one of the reasons I put my name out. Another reason is to get out and see what people got going on in their backyards. You never know what or who you will run into. The more I know the better off I am.
My heart goes out to companies who work hard to ensure their employees have somewhere to turn, it is very hard. Everyone whose has money wants to put the squeeze on people who bust ass and take risk for a job they think should not be done by thier kids.
That is why I am here; you think I am a smartass to you guys? What do you think I say to these jackasses trying to get me to say yes to less? Got any red dots?
One thing, also, that makes me recession proof is that I like what I do and I like many of the other things that are related. I can also hunt and get water. Other than that I am with Ropes, when we run out of sugar I worry if there is anymore at the store.

Latest posts

Back