Is Tree Care Recession Proof?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We Are Up 25% Over Last Years Sales To Date So Do Not Let The News And Big Bis Bs You !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many mexicans? Come on don't get pissed off. If you say "none" I will say" I am glad to hear buddy". remember a mexican is not an American and an American whose daddy was a mexican is just as bad.

Rumor has it twelve dollars per gallon in two years and maybe those guys ya'all are speaking of are recession proof but no one but the Gov is depression proof as money becomes worthless. I don't know where we are heading and politicians of today give little hope.

Maybe that's the one thing that would knock lowballers out of the equation :)

Lowballers can keep lowering their prices, but the one thing they may not be able to contend with at all, is figuring out how to manage money to dish-out $12 per gallon.

And even they have to drive a truck if the debris is going to be removed.

Maybe that's the one thing that would knock lowballers out of the equation :)

Lowballers can keep lowering their prices, but the one thing they may not be able to contend with at all, is figuring out how to manage money to dish-out $12 per gallon.

And even they have to drive a truck if the debris is going to be removed.

Good point and yes maybe some will fall but it is sure hard until
that happens, was slow for a long time now its rockin so off to
do some work!

Interesting that a lot of you folks seems to have plenty of work. Here in the Pacific Northwest, it is slower than it's been in years, which applies to every company I know of personally. Yet, our economy seems to be stronger than in many other areas---less drop in real estate values, etc.

Two possible influencing factors that I see are: We had a very large windstorm Dec '06, which resulted in tons of work for everyone, including non storm work. Two, there is more competition here than ever.

Here in So Cal it is terrible the phone hasn't been ringing and it seems like everyday I see a different truck on the road!

It's very strange over here in Berkeley. We're doing quite well but we've always targeted higher income people who I think are well off enough around here to survive the downturn. I hear a lot of other companies in my area are crying the blues.

We're scheduled out until the 2nd week of June. Still, I noticed that I've received less calls this week so I'm preparing some mailers. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Really dried up over here. Almost to a stand still.

I am one of those guys that is underbidding all of you big dogs. I can do it by staying small and keeping my overhead low. Although on quite a few jobs recently I have been saying "man it sure would be nice to have a bucket truck right now". Chip truck/chipper and climbing gear. Hire a second guy as a contractor (who is also a soleprop) only on jobs where I need 2 people. etc. Hire or reccomend a bigger tree service on jobs where a crane is required. Rent a lift for a week once enough jobs are lined up to need it etc.

My prices are going up with fuel costs, they have to.

Things have picked up here. We're still working everyday and, oddly enough, our per day average is pretty good. Still, I don't think the worst is over and I'm still pinching pennies.

Hang In There Guys

Fuel is bound to be makin it rough on everyone. Seems like the cost of most things are risin every other day! Here i'm over the fuel thing. Now i create my own fuel and am still able to charge the customers the going price for fuel still. Still got my time in it ya know! Helps out with the mtnc side of things.

I am one of those guys that is underbidding all of you big dogs. I can do it by staying small and keeping my overhead low. Although on quite a few jobs recently I have been saying "man it sure would be nice to have a bucket truck right now". Chip truck/chipper and climbing gear. Hire a second guy as a contractor (who is also a soleprop) only on jobs where I need 2 people. etc. Hire or reccomend a bigger tree service on jobs where a crane is required. Rent a lift for a week once enough jobs are lined up to need it etc.

My prices are going up with fuel costs, they have to.

Man I know, but with no crane or bucket don't you kinda feel like a little p!ss ant.

Take the poll...

I created a poll in the Tree Care and Climbing forum to sumarize everyone's responses to this subject. If you get a chance, please participate.

Back