It is -0?F, outside...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
78 degrees with an owb? That's ok if you like it that hot but one of the biggest advantages I find with my owb is temperature control within 1 degree while still burning wood. Are you sure my wife wasn't at your house and cranked your thermostat? Actually since we got the digital thermostat that doesn't happen much anymore.

It is -0°F, outside, and 78 inside my house, with the windows open (cracked that is). :) Bright sunny day, and the southern exposure of the house really adds to the heat. That and my CB5036 is the cat's meow....:clap:

[cheers]

How the heck can you have -0.....?????

If you were in Minot, North Dakota I would understand, but MN?, it isn't THAT cold up there.:hmm3grin2orange:

If the temp was between 0 and -1 degrees could that be considered -0?

Yes, If you rounded it up or down to the nearest whole number. If it was colder then 0 but warmer then -1 it would be -0.1 through -0.9, but the fact of the matter is that is would still be too cold for my old carcass. -0 could also mean that it is any temperature below 0 degrees.

freemind said:
Zero is neither a positive nor a negitive number

Anything below 33 degrees is negative in my book. I am tired of driving on snow and ice. It is almost to the point that I want to believe in global warming.

With the Fahrenheit system you seldom deal in decimals. With the Metric system we deal with it every day.

Anything below 33 degrees is negative in my book. I am tired of driving on snow and ice. It is almost to the point that I want to believe in global warming.

That is the fun. 33 in Celsius is smoking hot(91F)

For the basics: North and South(western Canada) of the 49 parallel are running on two different scales of temperature. For years Canada used the Fahrenheit scale and then changed to the Metric system. There, we a few(in terms of population) that went thought the changing times(mid 80's if i remember right).

I went thought those times and adapt without a problem. 70F = 20C comfortable room temp. 32F = 0C Water freezing. -40F = -40C to cold to talk about - throw another log in the fire!

Not meaning to rant. But cold and warm are within the person for perspective. If you have to deal with -30(C) for most of the winter then you are used to the colder weather. When it warms up to -10(C) then it is a heat wave for the winter.

All I ask for is that no one freezes, and that everyone may enjoy the evening and throw some more wood on the fire.

PS: Old Goat: nothing against you. Nothing against anyone.

Last edited:
Not meaning to rant. But cold and warm are within the person for perspective. If you have to deal with -30(C) for most of the winter then you are used to the colder weather. When it warms up to -10(C) then it is a heat wave for the winter.

All I ask for is that no one freezes, and that everyone may enjoy the evening and throw some more wood on the fire.

PS: Old Goat: nothing against you. Nothing against anyone.

I use to enjoy cold weather. Snow from November to March is the norm for the part of Utah where I grew up. It is an age thing now. I am starting to understand the whole snowbird thing. My joints dislike the cold the most and I am only in my mid 40's.

I spent a long cold winter in Butte, Montana back in my early 20's. The low for 10 days straight was -40F. I had a diesel VW rabbit that wouldn't start for over a month due to it being so cold. I worked for a trucking company and we had trucks gelled up on the Hwys all over the state. It was a fun experience at the time and makes for good stories to tell my kids, but now it would be pure misery. The funny thing is that I never have liked hot weather. I would rather wear a coat then sun screen any day.

I use to enjoy cold weather. Snow from November to March is the norm for the part of Utah where I grew up. It is an age thing now. I am starting to understand the whole snowbird thing. My joints dislike the cold the most and I am only in my mid 40's.

I spent a long cold winter in Butte, Montana back in my early 20's. The low for 10 days straight was -40F. I had a diesel VW rabbit that wouldn't start for over a month due to it being so cold. I worked for a trucking company and we had trucks gelled up on the Hwys all over the state. It was a fun experience at the time and makes for good stories to tell my kids, but now it would be pure misery. The funny thing is that I never have liked hot weather. I would rather wear a coat then sun screen any day.

I hate too tell you this, but it's not gonna get any better. I too grew up with all 4 seasons and long cold winters. Also like you, when I was in my upper 40's (47 exactly) I can remember one day just not feeling like a teenager any more and able too do and feel invincible. It started with that 30 min in the morning getting up sore and creaky. I'm 53 now almost 54 and no matter what I do (I've lost weight, I've tried to get in better shape) it's all a catch 22 now. If I do it, I have too maintain it or it gets worse! I'm not complaining, I love life and am fortunate. I'm just saying that getting older sucks.:cheers:

At 7:00 am this morning the radio said -26°f I threw some more wood in the furnace and also cracked open the kitchen window it was 82° in the house :)

think i have ya all beat last nite.
attachment.php

I'll say one thing it has been one cold ass winter so far, we usually have a January thaw, not this year.

P.S. JONSEREDFAN6069 Sounds pretty cold up there, I'll be coming through Dryden in July heading to Lac Seul for some fishing.

Last edited:
Ok, OK,...All though the original -0 was in fact a typo, I have since concluded there is such a thing. If it's zero out, and fix'n to goet colder then it could be considered -0, where as if it were 0 out and fix'n to get warm, say 15 or so, that would be a +0... :givebeer:

With the weather we've had lately, if it hits 20, we plan an outdoors event....:)

Back