It is with great sadness that I report.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some HondaBond, so ready to reassemble
Here's the cleaned up squish band
image.jpg
Hope it clears!
image.jpg
The whole adventure cost me some compression
image.jpg
I might put a bolt in the decomp as 185 feels like nothing compared to before.

Alas, no spark. I must have hurt the magneto wire somewhere during the project. the wire to the switch got eaten by the flywheel a year ago, but didn't affect the saw as I usually kill them with the choke anyway. The work continues.

Was going to spend the afternoon making sure my impulse path was perfect while waiting for my new trigger module to arrive. Unfortunately, got sidetracked by one of my least favorite jobs
image.jpg

The (hopefully temporary) demise of my beloved SuperMike 288. @mdavlee built me about the bitchinest 288 u'r gonna ever see.

The good news; the cylinder looks remarkably good. The bad news, since the small end bearing grenaded, I was hopeful the bottom end was fine. Sadly, it revolves 3/4 turn than catches. Maybe there's just a piece stuck there somewhere, but prolly not.

At this moment, I haven't the time or patience to split it and make it happy, so I'm gonna mothball it until I've got more time.

That is too spesh of a saw not to get a new P&C.

Scarred cylinder pics are like a hot babe with tats

Seen multiple hyway 288 piston pin bearing failures in last month or two.
Go with oem husky or Stihl 880 bearing for this application
I'm pretty sure I bought an OEM replacement from you, along with a meteor piston. The one that grenaded looked like a nwp

Wow huge drop off. What else got damaged that you couldn't take care of in your rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow huge drop off. What else got damaged that you couldn't take care of in your rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had to sand the squish band quite a bit to flatten out the bumps, that prolly took it down a bit. There are some scratches on the jug, which are also prolly hurting, and the new ring prolly needs to seat a bit. I'd bet the squish band sanding played the biggest part.

If my 064 had been running at speed when the ring let go it would probably have looked a lot like that.. My 394 had similar markings from big end bearing cage

I think the compression will come up a fair bit.. it takes a heck of a lot of sanding to really take any material off.. though if there's a little difference in piston height that could be part of it too.

I haven't ever found the need to go much over 200 psi.... I have saws that only run 140 psi because of high exhaust ports and they run really good.. I ripped the pull cord of my Manhattan project the other day

Back