It's happening again . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took the BIL out for a run last weekend and realised I need side rollers.

So here we go. The side rollers are those white wheels on the bottom of the mill frame verticals. The idea is that when the chain pulls the mill up against the side of the log the rollers contact first and there is less friction generated making it easier to mill. I got the idea from Railomatic and have a similar setup (but only single wheel) on my small mill.
attachment.php

Here is a side shot. I wanted the wheels to be able to get as close to the cutting plane as possible for regular cutting or when slabbing the topside of the log.
attachment.php

When cutting the bottom half of the log the contact point changes and the log rubs on the vertical support up near the rails instead, so the wheels can be moved up the vertical to stop the log doing that. Here is a shot showing just one of the wheels moved up near the rail on the the closest vertical.
attachment.php

Finally here is a close up of one of the wheels. The construction is basically a turned ally flange/bearing on which rides a teflon wheel. On top locking everything in place is a brass collar with threaded holes for 2 locking hex bolts. All bits were raided from the scraps bin at work.
attachment.php

Cheers

Last edited:
I've thought about adding something like that to my mill too but I occasionally find it beneficial to hook a notch in the bark and use to leverage the rest of the mill around. I've thought about using unidirectional bearings but haven't looked hard enough to locate them.

Good idea I noticed the same problem my first time out with the mill thought i'd seen them on here somewhere just didn't realize what they would do!! Nice work!

Thanks Guys, Was hoping to try it out yesterday but got hit by a flubug and been reduced to short stints of pottering around in the shed. I did find a nice piece of black nylon cylinder and turned up a couple of new wheels that I might add to my other mill.

Latest posts

Back