Its taken nearly 2 seasons but......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applefarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think I finally found the sweet spot for my boiler. I can finally say I am satisfied with my setup. All this time and all I have been doing wrong is working too hard! This thing wants BIG dry full rounds! Here is my setup. First last summer I got to redo my underground pipe, it is now logstor. Luckly I only had about $300.00 in the previous junk plus my time (which isn't worth very much.) Next my set points are on at 135 off at 165. No need for 180 even in single digit temps. I think I get away with the lower temps because of oversized hx. I have my blower block off plate set to only allow enough air in so I don't see any blue smoke at full burn. I think it is about one third open. My house thermostat is set at 72 from 5:30 till 8:30am then 68 till 5:00pm then 74 till 11:30 then back to 68.

In the morning around 8:00 I rake the coals throw 2 or 3 smaller splits then 3 or 4 large and long logs (cherry or maple). Then just let the boiler work, the next morning water temp will be down around 110-120 with just a few coals left.

My house is about 2800sq ft. More than half of it is brand new addition with good windows and spray foam insulation. The other half has been remodeled 10 years ago with new windows and as much insulation as I could stuff in it for the way it was built. Sorry about the long post but for the first time in 2 years I am really quite happy with my setup.

Good to see you have it figured out. My findings are similiar. It doesn't matter to mine what size the wood is, so long as it is seasoned and dry. When I first started using it, I would add wood in the morning and evening. Now I just fill the front half of the box at night, and leave it till the next evening when it has burnt the coals down nicely without dropping my water temp more than 10* from the preset operating range (+/- 175*). I use less wood, and the unit produces less smoke by burning more coals and less "wood".

Latest posts

Back