Its time to start milling again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookerdog

The New Champ
Reaction score
Well its that time now that the snow is finally gone to get back to milling. How is everyone doing. Going to be planting doug fir this weekend since our tree's are in got about 2000 to plant.

Do you recollect how far apart you'll be planting those seedlings? I'm trying to find out the ratio for re planting harvested areas. (clear cut).

Thanks

Do you recollect how far apart you'll be planting those seedlings? I'm trying to find out the ratio for re planting harvested areas. (clear cut).

Thanks

Depends on the species, the soil and terrain and what you want those trees to do for you later on. Contact your local state forester or ag office. Often they will even come out and show you the ropes. You're taxes are paying for those guys, might as well use them.

Well its that time now that the snow is finally gone to get back to milling. How is everyone doing. Going to be planting doug fir this weekend since our tree's are in got about 2000 to plant.

our snow is almost gone, but were supposed to get a good one friday into saturday. My pile of logs is just about free of all its snow too. I know I'm ready. I milled a little cherry in january, and a little pine last month, before we got slammed with snow. I've got the itch...I want to mill!

Thanks

As WS said it depends on what you future plans are.

If you are going to harvest them for sale, 6-10 feet apart. When they get 3-4' tall, you'll transplant every other one (or sell them) and let the remaining reach 6'-8' and start the process over again. Thats how we do it on the tree farm.

Thanks

In clear cuts they like to spread them in a 10x10. They will thin they out later down the road. Now if it is a nursery or christmas trees they will plant them much closer. For the planting were doing this year by year 25 when I retire we should get some prodution. If all the conditions are right. Were I live we have a 180 acre forest lot. We have been planting about 2000 a year for the last 4 years.
I have some nice maple lined up to mill. I also milled some dogwood at the end of last year. Forgot to get some pics will get some pics of that wood when I use it.

I've been walking through the slowly receding snow to the north side of our wooded area, that's where the sawlogs are, constant shade. Every day this week checking the squish factor for when I can lift a log up to mill, still have to finish the maple that I started milling in january.

Thanks all, I've seen them planted really close together, then in a couple of years thinned quite heavily. We have a very mixed forest, it's just looks strange to see areas with just one tree type in them.

Its time to start milling again

Yes it is, and i had some nice 14" wide 5/4 boards comeing off the mill a couple days ago!! Even though we still had snow that morning, it was sunny out and got to 70, and all the snow was gone by that evening!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Not a bad tally for less than an hour on the mills hour meter...

standard.jpg

Rob

Latest posts

Back