Ive got an AXE to grind.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes

blis said:
134498_1218.jpg

thats the axe with long handle... 72cm handle, 1,66kg weight... seems fine to me, even thou i myself use age old fiskars axe with real wooden handle, havent yet seen a wood that wont break with it...
that's the one I even have the next size smaller got them at sears (dam box stores ) and only because I had lost one off the 4 wheeler and went out and got another right away ,only to find the other.

Iltis Oxhead

Anybody heard of these? German made and expensive. Any good?

Thanks

Luke said:
Anybody heard of these? German made and expensive. Any good?

Thanks

They are considered, along with Gransfors and Snow & Neally, to be among the best in the world.

Iltis Oxhead Info from Traditional Woodworker . Com

Felling Axe (35") by Iltis Oxhead $79.95
598-1002

View attachment 40682

Click to enlarge

The exceptionally thin blade, 6" wide face and premium Hickory handle make this top quality German axe an excellent choice for felling, limbing, debarking, notching and general cutting. The thin blade is such that a full 3" back from the edge the blade is still only 1/4" thick. In use, this thin blade profile keeps any wedging forces at a minimum and makes for easy and deep penetration.

Cut ready for use, the blade is hand forged from the finest quality German steel and has been hardened and tempered to 56-58 Rockwell C for the best combination of toughness and hardness. This blade will not chip as is so common with axes of lesser quality steel. Cut ready for use the blade face has a width of a full 6".

The head weighs 2 1/2 lbs and is secured to the 35" hickory handle by means of a secure triple-wedge design (one hardwood wedge and two conical metal wedges). Overall weight is 4 lbs. The axe comes with a saddle grade leather sheath to protect the edge when not in use. Crafted in Germany by Iltis Oxhead.

Also Available:
Double-Bit Felling Axe (35") by Iltis Oxhead
Felling Axe (27") by Iltis Oxhead

View Traditional Woodworker's entire selection of Axes & Hatchets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iltis Oxhead
The trade mark of the company Oxhead ("Ochsenkopf") is one of the oldest in the tool industry of Germany's Bergishen Land, home of some of the most internationally renowned German tool makers and located in towns such as Solingen, Wuppertal and Remscheid. The name Oxhead was originally listed on the registration roll of trade marks on June 2, 1781. Since this time the name Oxhead has become synonymous with high-quality tools being used in forestry and old fashioned carpentry such as log building. The use of only the best-quality steel and hand forging by experienced toolmakers, combined with a rigourous and consistent quality control have enabled Iltis Oxhead to gain a world-wide following and appreciation amongst serious users of log building, timber framing and forestry tools.

Oxhead

I ordered an Oxhead today. Will post on its performance this weekend.

I have a Vario. LOVE IT. I bought a few spare parts to have on hand, haven't needed them. Actually if I get another head, I could assemble another axe. They also have a version with a composite handle.

Have any of you tried the TOMOHAWK series of the Helko vario???

Thet are described as:

"Based on their brilliantly designed Vario2000 System, Helko’s Tomahawk line takes the concept another step further with the introduction of a lighter, yet nearly indestructible, fibreglass polyamide composition handle. The ergonomically designed handle is a pure example of form following function, combining highly efficient striking power with fatigue free usage.

All handles and tool heads are completely interchangeable both within and between the Tomahawk and Vario lines, bringing you the unparalleled ability to match tool head and handle to the job at hand. All axe and hatchet blades are hardened to strict German DIN 7287 B manufacturing standards. Because of the composite handles the Tomahawk tools do not require a fixing cap or overstrike protector as do the Vario2000 versions. Germany
"​

How come whe i use the word "maul", people look at me like i'm crazy, always have to follow it up with "SLEDGE!" That's what my father and grandfather called 'em, so maul is good enough for me.

In my neck of the woods there is a maul and there is a sledgehammer, and the two are not the same. One is a "hammer" as the name implies, and the other is a heavy wedge on a handle that is used for splitting wood. Sledgehammer on the left and maul on the right.

Ian

attachment.php

My wife wants fiberglass, but I want wood??????????????????????

Such big choices.

Can you get other Helko axes somewhere? Some like the Hunter or the other splitting axes?

One errant swing into the edge of a log and you will be wishing you got fiberglass.

As I have posted on other threads, I went with the Super Splitter from Fiskars. It has a 4 1/4 pound head with a great design to pull the wood open. I will never go back to my standard maul again...EVER! This thing is past the 5 cord mark and still going without a hitch. Shorter handle yes, but a 36 incher on this would be dangerous!

What my dad used, to prevent damage to the handle,
was to place a couple of sections of bicycle innertube rolled up
and placed just beneath the head.
It works great.

Latest posts

Back