Ivy - Fried or Foe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don R

Reaction score
Our neighbor has lots of Ivy in his yard and left unchecked for 8 years; which has crept into ours. We're in the process of removing it on our side as it's killing our plants.

The Ivy has crept a rather tall Pine tree, 80+ years old and we have concerns that it will eventually kill that tree and many others that border our properties. It so happens that this tree is on both of our property lines and leans toward our house due to the sun. My wife and I would like to remove the Ivy, our neighbor likes the Ivy. What would serve the tree best - keeping or removing the Ivy?

Also, looking for a recommendation for a commercial tree company in SE Michigan.

Thanks...

Welcome to the site, Don.

Pictures are always best for more informed advice as the general term ivy may be describing a variety of plants. However, I will toss out a couple of thoughts while, hopefully, waiting for pictures.

For example, English ivy, Hedera helix, has its own root system, can root at nodes, or attaches itself to structures with root-like holdfasts. So is not considered a parasite as it supplies its own nutrients. A problem is the ability of this plant to completely obliterate sun reaching the supporting plant if allowed to grow excessively. This is more problematical if the host plant's leaves are engulfed.

Another problem is the ability of the ivy to physically mask defects that may be there on the host tree. You simply cannot monitor the host tree due to not seeing its structure. If allowed to grow excessively up against the trunk at the root flare, moisture can be held thereby promoting a suitable environment for decay and fungus.

We recommend, to our clients, that ivys not be allowed to grow on living trees.

Sylvia

Ivy - Fried or Foe? Never had it fried, Don't know how to cook it foe.lol..............................Just jokin, I would get rid of that stuff fast. We had some growin on a tree one time and it took over, Like to have never got rid of it. I've seen it take over complete houses here and run all up the sides. Problem with that is the wood on the house never gets sun and dries out so the siding rots faster. It will eventually choke out the tree. Cut the vines where it goes up the tree and keep trimming it back out of your yard. The stuff is a pain in the backside to control. You may even can spray some kind of poison on it.

Back