Jamboree rules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
About climbing jamborees----Are there any rules that exclude (aides/accessories) that greatly increase the ease, speed and efficentcy of a 'competition' climb such as assenders, throw cords, short lanyards and now these various rope retrieval devices such as the Sidekick? Obviously they won't allow bucket trucks----and the (tour-de-france) bike race has disallowed recumbant bikes (just too fast). All these things mentioned above give a distinct advantage to the more 'gear-head' type of climber in competition climbs, not just in everyday job execution. Shouldn't there be rules?

About climbing jamborees----Are there any rules that exclude (aides/accessories) that greatly increase the ease, speed and efficentcy of a 'competition' climb such as assenders, throw cords, short lanyards and now these various rope retrieval devices such as the Sidekick? Obviously they won't allow bucket trucks----and the (tour-de-france) bike race has disallowed recumbant bikes (just too fast). All these things mentioned above give a distinct advantage to the more 'gear-head' type of climber in competition climbs, not just in everyday job execution. Shouldn't there be rules?

So what are you saying, everyoneshould have to climb on a taughtline hitch with a hemp rope? Competition in any sport is all about pushing the envelope, using the latest gear and techniques. I guess we could watch the NASCAR boys duel it out in 57 chevys but where's the fun in that? I went to the Texas state championships last year and watched some amazing climbers do incredible moves with the latest gear, and it took my game up about 5 notches. And yes, I went home and dropped some change on some new gear, because I saw what a difference it made. After seeing that, I became a "gearhead" and have never looked back. At 44 I'm climbing faster, smoother, and safer than I was 15 yrs ago thanks to that gear. So yes, I hope those boys keep using their toys, and keep advancing the sport, and the business.
As far as everyday job execution goes, every climber I met used those same techniques and tools all week long, just doing it better and faster.

Back