Japanese maple (Acer palmatum) with Wooly residue from Insects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keno

Reaction score
We have a 10 year old Japanese cutleaf maple (Acer palmatum) that is beautiful and about 8 feet across and 5 feet high. It has grown healthily for ten years. After returning from vacation after a dry couple of weeks, we noticed wooly deposits on a number of leaves and a few stems on the top center of the tree. I removed some of these leaves and did not see any insects in the wooly material. Three days later several of the branches now only have dead leaves on them. I have cut off the branches with all dead leaves, but am concerned that this could cover the rest of the tree. I am guessing it's not mealy bugs, because we have not seen bugs near the wooly deposits. Could it be wooly aphids, or do they only prey on hemlocks, which we have nearby (with wooly aphids on them)? Any idea what this may be? We removed almost all of the leaves with the wooly deposits on them. How should we treat this?

Flatid Planthopper

I wouldn't worry too much about this, what you are probably seeing is the result of Flatid Planthoppers and they typically don't do much damage. If in doubt spray your tree with some good old organophosphate like Orthene. Read the label. It may control this pest.
Here is more info on Flatid Planthopper :
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/Flatid_Planthopper.htm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back