Japanese split leaf maple problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srichman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A few years ago, I planted a Japanese split leaf maple in an area with moderate sunlight. It appeared to thrive for a few years and then withered and died. I planted a replacement a few months later and it, too, died. Is it worth attempting to replant at the same site after a few years,or should I choose a different site? Thank you.

S. Richman
Potomac, MD (near Washington, DC)

Not certain as to when the Japanese split leaf maple died, as it was a few years ago, but I think it was late Summer or early Fall and was replaced a few months later.

Yes, the replacement died in the Fall. I suspect there was some disease residual in the ground that infected the new tree. If so,is it safe to plant at the same site now after a few years or should I choose a new site?

Anthracnose is a common fungus that kills maples, not heard of it hitting a tree withing a few months of instalation.

A. palmatum does not like wet feet, what was the irrigation lie? How is the site drainage? Seen a lot of them die from over watering.

Verticillium wilt is another possibility, esp if the tree died in stages. More likely affects older trees, though. A soil test is good, but not cheap...

Planting in a diff. spot is safer, as well, check the rootball for girdling roots, ie, make sure any rootbound areas are loosened. don't plant too deep, use some mychorrizae if you can find some in the hole, mulch, but not around the trunk, water lots the first two years, and fertilize......and pray...

Or, plant one of these beauties:

Back