Johnson J9900 Question - how much wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad5306

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a house with a Johnson J9900 wood/coal furnace. It says on the warning label to not load above the loading door. I assume it means the top of the door? How much wood do you load into your J9900? I have been taking it easy but this cold snap has me up in the night to stoke the fire. Want to confirm what's safe. To clarify I am burning wood not coal.

I have the same furnace. I dont load quite to the smoke shelf inside. Heating 1900sf 1.5 story I can get 8 hr burns with good seasoned hardwoods. As far as a manual goes good luck. They are really close to the box store $1000 wood furnaces. My dad had a vagelzang that was almost identical. So if you are wanting a manual look up one for those furnaces. I dont use the spring dampener on the front and blocked off the inducer motor on the back because it was just too warm in the house. 82°+, I run the dial on the ash drawer about 2 spins out most of the time.

I actually found the manual online for $9 at Stove Parts Plus. Sounds like you run it about like I do, no inducer fan and a couple of turns out on the ash drawer intake.

I have definitely been not loading it as full as you are, I'll try a bigger load tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

No problem. I'd like to update and get something more efficient but when I get 8 to 10 hrs on a burn I think I'll run it a few more years. I paid $400 for it in 2010 and have only had to replace door gaskets and the fan motors once. I keep a spare set of motors to have on hand just in case they go bad. Pretty cheap heating. Good luck with it.

Where are you able to find the blower motor at? Mine only has one for the heat. Do I need another one for my cold air return?

Latest posts

Back