Jonsered 2050 Turbo Speedcut upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjr

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've got an about 15 year old Jonsered 2050 Turbo that I haven't used much at all in the past several years. All told I've gone through about 2 chains in its life, and the one on it is shot. After reading up here, I'm thinking about changing to a Speedcut combo. Looks like the bar and chain would be about $35.

The stock bar is 18" .058 .325 Original chain was Total stamped D2 and the current one is Oregon 34 (J72 from a big box store I think.) I'm thinking to go with Speedcut either 16" combo 578482 (160TXLBK095 bar, 95TXL066G chain) or 18" combo 578764 (180TXLBK095 bar, 95TXL072G chain). Either is around $45 shipped.

For what I'm likely to do - general cleanup plus dead ash - I think the 16" is probably plenty long. I'll keep the stock bar and I guess if I need the extra 2" for something specific I can get an appropriate chain for it.

The other question is should I switch to a rim sprocket at the same time? Looks like there's an Oregon available for somewhere around $20 for the sprocket plus bearing: Sprocket 35641X, bearing 11893. The Oregon catalog also shows a washer 35651 but that seems to be harder to find - can I reuse a washer that's already on the saw?

If nothing else I've amused myself a few nights by digging through all the resources I found in posts here: Oregon big catalog, Jonsered repair manual, plus all the opinions in the posts. Thanks in advance for any advice.

If your spur sprocket is worn and needs replacement, I'd go with a rim. If spur not significantly worn and very light use saw, I wouldn't change it.

I suppose you found this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...f-chain-and-speedcut-guide-bars.285694/page-7
I bought one of those bars off ebay and even though it has the symbol for the Narrow kerf chain the bar is actually 0.058 in the groove or slot. I would not buy something like that mail order without being aware there may be issues with the Nk (txl being the latest code) not fitting the bar.

The rim sprocket is what I like however The oil drive may need changed to engage the splines of the new drum. I would verify that.

I suppose you found this thread http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...f-chain-and-speedcut-guide-bars.285694/page-7
I bought one of those bars off ebay and even though it has the symbol for the Narrow kerf chain the bar is actually 0.058 in the groove or slot.

Yeah, that seems like a bit of a headscratcher, doesn't it? The Speedcut bars are supposed to be .050 according to the marketing materials...Did you maybe get some sort of prototype? I think you said there weren't any numbers on the bar or pkg.

No numbers packaging I recall that for sure, however the symbol for the narrow kerf. I am not all that impressed with the 0.325Nk. Usually I take it off pretty soon. I did use up a loop cutting out a stump. As to the bar I have hardly used it, had it on a 60cc saw with 8 tooth drive and the discontinued 34 LG "low profile" chain. The logic that a larger nose is better for plunge cutting comes into doubt. I could just stab into a log any way I chose. Way different than the narrow kerf .325 offerings Woodland pro, Oregon 95 or Husqvarna equivalent, H30 I think. The new txl may not be much different besides the drive links and I think there may be incremental changes in that as time goes by from what is likely in the thread I have linked above.

Back