Jonsered 2095 bolt hole stripped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Fishaa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i have this saw i have been building but i ran into a problem. The bolt to go down through the coil is 3mm. I didn’t want to drill the coil i have out for a larger bolt because it’s a New old stock coil. Do they make a 4mm insert that would have a 3mm threaded hole on top? If they do where can i buy them and what’s the proper way to install an insert?. i was told to stay away from helicoils

Attachments

• BDE03C6A-5830-4F59-A0D9-4B3CC90E1A4B.jpeg
    BDE03C6A-5830-4F59-A0D9-4B3CC90E1A4B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
M3xM5:
https://www.mcmaster.com/product/93715A335

If you want minimize the size of the new hole a helicoil is the way to go.
I’m just wondering as ive never installed them are these good inserts? $9.95 for 1 and i found on the world wide web a bag of 100 for $29! Just curious seemed pricey but if they’re the best helicoils i’ll make an account at mcmaster and order one

I’m just wondering as ive never installed them are these good inserts? $9.95 for 1 and i found on the world wide web a bag of 100 for $29! Just curious seemed pricey but if they’re the best helicoils i’ll make an account at mcmaster and order one
To be clear, the McMaster inserts pointed to are usually called Keenserts.

A helicoil is like a spring that threads into an oversized hole with the same thread pitch as the thread to be restored and requires a special tap to prepare the hole.

Keenserts generally use a standard tap, a size or two larger than the original thread, to prep the hole. They're more secure, but require you to punch down the locking keys.

Which one is "better" depends on the exact circumstances and is rather subjective.

So i have this saw i have been building but i ran into a problem. The bolt to go down through the coil is 3mm. I didn’t want to drill the coil i have out for a larger bolt because it’s a New old stock coil. Do they make a 4mm insert that would have a 3mm threaded hole on top? If they do where can i buy them and what’s the proper way to install an insert?. i was told to stay away from helicoils

I might be out of touch and have not played with a 2095 in a good long while- but are you sure the bolts retaining the coil in place are M3?
In my mind they should be M5 and maybe someone has sat a 3mm bolt into a snafued hole to sell it to you?
The hole closest to the flywheel almost looks like it could pay to be welded back up- redrilled and retapped. It is getting pretty messed up around the top of that hole and if it is out of flat- the coil may pull down in that area and cause the small case protrusion to fracture off.

I might be out of touch and have not played with a 2095 in a good long while- but are you sure the bolts retaining the coil in place are M3?
In my mind they should be M5 and maybe someone has sat a 3mm bolt into a snafued hole to sell it to you?
The hole closest to the flywheel almost looks like it could pay to be welded back up- redrilled and retapped. It is getting pretty messed up around the top of that hole and if it is out of flat- the coil may pull down in that area and cause the small case protrusion to fracture off.
M3 for sure. An m5 would never fit down through the holes in the coil. and m4 doesn’t even fit down through which is why i’m in this predicament having to stay with an m3 bolt. I have 3 different 2094/2095 crankcases and they were all the same bolt hole

Back