Stripped head....helicoil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Buddy of mine brought over a low hour Husqvarna 350, spark plug threads have stripped out of the head. Not sure how this managed to happen, unless the plug was never properly tightened. Other than pulling the head and attempting to weld up/drill/tap a new hole, are heli-coils a reasonable repair option?

jh2NB3Y.jpg

Tkct1eE.jpg

aS6kkUY.jpg

The "spring" type helicoils are not a good choice here. The HeliCoil Sav-a-Thread insert is a good option. They supply a tap to run the threads out overside and the insert is locked in place with a special swage tool. Kits can be found at most auto parts stores and replacement inserts can be purchased.

s-l500.jpg

Mark

I have the Time-Sert tools available for the washer seat inserts if anyone is interested in buying a set. You'll have to go on line to get the inserts.

20220225_155313.jpg

Apparently McCulloch anticipated a lot of spark plug thread repairs and had purchased a quantity of the tools shown above and I ended up with them in a large parts lot acquistion.

Mark

I just picked up a save a thread kit at advanced auto for. $38. It comes with 3 inserts you will need to use the shortest of the three. Time-Sert is a better option but it's expensive, around $250 for a kit. Like everyone says an insert is a better option then a helicoil. You will also need some high temp RTV to seal the threads.

I have the Time-Sert tools available for the washer seat inserts if anyone is interested in buying a set. You'll have to go on line to get the inserts.

View attachment 1071694

Apparently McCulloch anticipated a lot of spark plug thread repairs and had purchased a quantity of the tools shown above and I ended up with them in a large parts lot acquistion.

Mark
Mark. What's the asking price for the set. Pm if you don't want to say

Me too! Send me your info and payment method and I'll probably get one too. Do you have a part number of the kit so maybe I can go look online to see what's in it? I am not familiar with time-sert, all I know is they make good stuff.

Back