194t larger bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene1987

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 194t with a 14 in bar with a 3/8p chain. I was checking into a 16 in bar at a stihl dealer and they were saying it required a 7 tooth sprocket. Is this correct and if so how do you find this info if you want to change bar sizes on chain saws? I seen a spot on nose sprocket for the bar but this is not the sprocket on engine.

They could be suggesting the lighter .043" gauge chain which uses a 7 tooth nose sprocket from Stihl.
Is it a certain program to which that is to be seen. Is there an area to look for the specs for bar and sprocket setup.

I have a 194t with a 14 in bar with a 3/8p chain. I was checking into a 16 in bar at a stihl dealer and they were saying it required a 7 tooth sprocket. Is this correct and if so how do you find this info if you want to change bar sizes on chain saws? I seen a spot on nose sprocket for the bar but this is not the sprocket on engine.
I have five saws as you have, with 16" bars on two of them. 3005 000 4813 is the Stihl bar number, and I have/use their 61PMMC3-55 chains. I do have 7-tooth sprockets on these two. Your dealer should (?) have them in stock -- Stihl recommends the "life" of a sprocket is two chains' use, so these are replaceable items. I have seen them, too, on eBay if you do not have a local dealer. My own preference is for OEM Stihl vis this part, and colleagues also use Sten; perhaps just me, but I'm wary re the many Chinese import "after-market" parts. To change sprockets you need but remove the e-clip and washer, and the sprocket you have will lift right out. I HIGHLY suggest replacing or, at least, re-greasing needle bearing under it; and simply replace sprocket with the new one. You may need rotate it clock-wise by hand a turn or two so the oiler mechanism is engaged!
One thought which is NOT "rocket science" is these wee top handle saws do NOT have adjustable oilers! Hence, the smaller the chain loop (e.g., 12") gets more chain oil than, say, a 14" or... the 16". For LIGHT cutting -- e.g., small stuff, I've not have had any problems. BUT -- I'd sure keep an eye open vis there's enough bar oil if I was using the saw for, say, bucking logs. (For this I have MS 261 PRO, MS 391, etc.)
geo

I have five saws as you have, with 16" bars on two of them. 3005 000 4813 is the Stihl bar number, and I have/use their 61PMMC3-55 chains. I do have 7-tooth sprockets on these two. Your dealer should (?) have them in stock -- Stihl recommends the "life" of a sprocket is two chains' use, so these are replaceable items. I have seen them, too, on eBay if you do not have a local dealer. My own preference is for OEM Stihl vis this part, and colleagues also use Sten; perhaps just me, but I'm wary re the many Chinese import "after-market" parts. To change sprockets you need but remove the e-clip and washer, and the sprocket you have will lift right out. I HIGHLY suggest replacing or, at least, re-greasing needle bearing under it; and simply replace sprocket with the new one. You may need rotate it clock-wise by hand a turn or two so the oiler mechanism is engaged!
One thought which is NOT "rocket science" is these wee top handle saws do NOT have adjustable oilers! Hence, the smaller the chain loop (e.g., 12") gets more chain oil than, say, a 14" or... the 16". For LIGHT cutting -- e.g., small stuff, I've not have had any problems. BUT -- I'd sure keep an eye open vis there's enough bar oil if I was using the saw for, say, bucking logs. (For this I have MS 261 PRO, MS 391, etc.)
geo
Thanks I appreciate it!

Back