Stihl 020AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibby II

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a couple of these on the bench to go through and need a couple of questions answered that I have.
First what do you all use to clean out the crude in these older saws gas tank?? The crude in there, It's like a glue stuck to the bottom of the tank area.

Second. one has 6 count drive sprocket on it and the other has a 8 count drive sprocket. Now the 8 is for a 3/8p 50ga, 55 link for a 16" bar 3005 000 4813, but what chain and bar for the 6 count drive sprocket.

One more, broke the one saw all the way down including the gas tank. Now do I need a gasket, (needless to say the one that was there was destroyed in the separation of the tank or would high temp silicone (red) work to seal the tank. Or should I just make another gasket. Would be a pain in the a?? to do, but nothing I haven't tackled before.

Thanks

Have a couple of these on the bench to go through and need a couple of questions answered that I have.
First what do you all use to clean out the crude in these older saws gas tank?? The crude in there, It's like a glue stuck to the bottom of the tank area.

Second. one has 6 count drive sprocket on it and the other has a 8 count drive sprocket. Now the 8 is for a 3/8p 50ga, 55 link for a 16" bar 3005 000 4813, but what chain and bar for the 6 count drive sprocket.

One more, broke the one saw all the way down including the gas tank. Now do I need a gasket, (needless to say the one that was there was destroyed in the separation of the tank or would high temp silicone (red) work to seal the tank. Or should I just make another gasket. Would be a pain in the a?? to do, but nothing I haven't tackled before.

Thanks
A new gasket for the gas tank would be better than Dirko (red sealing paste). Dirko will resist heat, but it is weak when continually exposed to fuels and solvents.

Here is a link to the gasket:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2666122709...uid=sks1nbpsttc&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I used vinegar and bacon soda to clean the tank and it did a super job. Found that idea on google. About 2 table spoons of bacon soda in the tank first, then found out real quick that you want to add the vinegar in slowly and a little at a time. The chemical reaction between the 2 creates a tremendous amount of foaming. Put in some small nuts and every now and then during the next couple of hours would shake the saw really good to help clean the tank. Rinsed out with soapy water and blew dry with air. Let it set over night and filled with gas and was ready to work.

Thanks for the info on the bar and chain.

Also, any idea where to pick up/ buy a pickup line from the tank to the carb. The ones shown on ebay will not work.

I used vinegar and bacon soda to clean the tank and it did a super job. Found that idea on google. About 2 table spoons of bacon soda in the tank first, then found out real quick that you want to add the vinegar in slowly and a little at a time. The chemical reaction between the 2 creates a tremendous amount of foaming. Put in some small nuts and every now and then during the next couple of hours would shake the saw really good to help clean the tank. Rinsed out with soapy water and blew dry with air. Let it set over night and filled with gas and was ready to work.

Thanks for the info on the bar and chain.

Also, any idea where to pick up/ buy a pickup line from the tank to the carb. The ones shown on ebay will not work.
I think I just ordered OE lines from my dealer for the 020s I’ve rebuilt.

Latest posts

Back