1983 Stihl 032av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigargod

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dad gave me his 032av and have used it along with an 026pro for the last 10 years. Recently acquired an older burned up ms311 with 3 18"bars (all
3003 000 9417, 2 new) and 6 chains (3/8pitch .063gauge 66DL and 3 are new box). My 32 has a 3/8 spur sprocket that I just replaced as it looked pretty ratty and was probly the original and a 16" bar .050gauge. I tried to put the 3003 000 9417 bar and matching chain on and it is binding up when turning by hand so I did not start it up. This bar is thicker than the stock one and a slightly different tail design although both are closed tail designs and oil holes look to be in the same location compared to the chain adjustment holes. Will the 32 only accept 50 gauge bars is that why its binding up? Thanks for any help guys

You sure you got the right sprocket? Maybe post a pic of the sprocket showing part number.
Pretty sure. 1113 640 2000 on the sealed stihl pack, on the drum and matches the # from the parts manual. Sprocket spins good by hand and drive link seat well in the teeth but when I put the cover on and tighten it pulling the chain in either direction is stiff. Checked the bar for burs or debris in the chanel and its clean and the same opening width all the way around. When the cover is put on there is now a small gap, enough so as I can slide a folded piece of paper in it. The bar is around 0.2mm thicker than the 16" 3003 008 8913 bar that was on it if I remember correctly from the calipers last night. Also the tail tapers are not the same angle but just slightly.

I believe so but I'll double check the side cover when I get home tonight. Also need to mention, the 16" 3/8 pitch 50 gauge bar and chain pull freely when I put that combo back on.

As you probably know, sources such as Bailey's suggest the 032 and 311 take the same bar.

I have saws which I swap .050 and .063 bars on all the time. There is some difference between the thickness of those bars, but the saw doesn't seem to mind.

Roy

Look at the bottom of the chains in question, make sure the drive tangs are not a little boogered up. Someone may have tried to run it on a saw that was the wrong pitch, realized it, put it back in the box and took it back to the dealer for the correct one. Then the dealer, not knowing to check, put it back on the shelf.

Yes it haa both side/oil plates. Checked all the measurements of both old and new sprocket and all measurements were within .01mm of eachother. Then swapped to the other 18" bar and same thing, stiff rolling. Swapped to the other new chain and moves much more freely. Swapped back to the other bar and moves freely. I used calipers to check all the drivelinks and several look to have a slight twist in them. I'll box that one back up and see if my local dealer will warrantee it. If not no biggy.

Look at the bottom of the chains in question, make sure the drive tangs are not a little boogered up. Someone may have tried to run it on a saw that was the wrong pitch, realized it, put it back in the box and took it back to the dealer for the correct one. Then the dealer, not knowing to check, put it back on the shelf.
My thoughts too. It was just one of the new chains. But several drive links look like they are slightly twisted, I don't see any maring on them, but I don't have a magnifying glass to get a better look.

My thoughts too. It was just one of the new chains. But several drive links look like they are slightly twisted, I don't see any maring on them, but I don't have a magnifying glass to get a better look.
With the bars and chains off of the saw, put the chains in the groove and rotate by hand. If the damage is a problem, you will see it. Doing this anyway will probably tell you what the problem is.

At some point it may have thrown that chain. When that happens a few drive links will get burrs on them that cause binding. If that happens file them off and check it in the bar groove. I had to do this once for a friend.

Back