Stihl 024 16" OEM bar replacement...project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwatts

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post but I have been reading articles on here for a long time. So, here I go.....

After having my 026AV since 1994, I have acquired a one owner 024AV (Made in West Germany 1983) from a friend. My intention is to keep it and use it as needed for a backup and as a companion saw to my 026.

I have spent the past few days cleaning the saw and it has turned out well. It has the original Tilloston carb and I replaced the fuel tank hose which had broken off in the tank. Believe it or not, after sitting for a long time, it fired right up...lol...hopefully my luck will continue.

The 024 appears to have the original 16" bar and the part# is Stihl 3003 000 6813. After looking around, there is another bar that appears to be compatble and it is Stihl 3003 008 6813.

Have one of those #'s been superseded to the other and which one would be the correct choice?

A new (in the package) Stihl 26 RM 67 chain was included with the saw. I have been very pleased over the years with that chain on my 026 and also the 26 RS 67.

Thanks

You can use either bar, the two are essentially the same. Green label low kickback 16" .325 pitch .063 drive link thickness, 67 drive links. The original bar says "Farm Boss" on it, I think. The bars are interchangeable between the two saws, as the 026 is an outgrowth of the 024, as you likely know.

I found a NOS 024 last year, and what I did was to laboriously search and find 3 16" long 3/8 picco bars (60 drive links) with that mount. Old West Germany bars. I also found a bunch of rim sprockets in picco. I like that thinner chain with the smaller displacement 024; it's light and cuts well. If you want to switch over to a rim sprocket, you'll need to find a rim style clutch drum, which very likely did not come original on the 024. The part number for that is....1121 160 2900. There is a guy on ebay who has one left, for like twelve dollars. They are only available used, I think. THe Oregon equivalent has a larger spline, and I don't know if they make a picco rim for that drum.

Best of success to you!

You can use either bar, the two are essentially the same. Green label low kickback 16" .325 pitch .063 drive link thickness, 67 drive links. The original bar says "Farm Boss" on it, I think. The bars are interchangeable between the two saws, as the 026 is an outgrowth of the 024, as you likely know.

I found a NOS 024 last year, and what I did was to laboriously search and find 3 16" long 3/8 picco bars (60 drive links) with that mount. Old West Germany bars. I also found a bunch of rim sprockets in picco. I like that thinner chain with the smaller displacement 024; it's light and cuts well. If you want to switch over to a rim sprocket, you'll need to find a rim style clutch drum, which very likely did not come original on the 024. The part number for that is....1121 160 2900. There is a guy on ebay who has one left, for like twelve dollars. They are only available used, I think. THe Oregon equivalent has a larger spline, and I don't know if they make a picco rim for that drum.

Best of success to you!
Thank You...yes, it has a spur sprocket and that is on my list to change. Instead of rebuilding the carb, I am going to install a new Walbro WT194 as suggested.

Finally got around to cutting firewood this week. The Stihl 024 AV ran great and it started very easy and idled great. So, as far as I am concerned, the Stihl 024 project turned our nice. New Stihl 16" bar, Stihl RM .325 chain, upgraded to rim sprocket and a new WT194 carb.Saw was made in 1984.

Attachments

• 20211107_144111.jpg
    20211107_144111.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210429_080615.jpg
    20210429_080615.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
I've used a 3/8 Picco chain on a standard 3/8 rim without issue
Nope! Bad things will happen doing that. Same thing with 3/8 picco chain on a regular 3/8 tipped bar

This was beaten to death while back on the milling forum. 3/8 and 3/8 picco are same pitch but the chassis are different on the two chains.

Here is a picture of a 7T 3/8, and a 7T 3/8 picco/lo pro. See the difference in rim diameters?

The 3/8 is an Oregon powermate, the picco rim is a custom rim from Danzco to fit med spline Oregon/Stihl drums.

I had the latter made up so I could run 3/8 picco on a 066 for milling
1 3:8 vs 3:8 picco.png

Nope! Bad things will happen doing that. Same thing with 3/8 picco chain on a regular 3/8 tipped bar

This was beaten to death while back on the milling forum. 3/8 and 3/8 picco are same pitch but the chassis are different on the two chains.

Here is a picture of a 7T 3/8, and a 7T 3/8 picco/lo pro. See the difference in rim diameters?

The 3/8 is an Oregon powermate, the picco rim is a custom rim from Danzco to fit med spline Oregon/Stihl drums.

I had the latter made up so I could run 3/8 picco on a 066 for milling
View attachment 940605
Thanks for sharing. I'll have to have a look at the 2 chains side by side. Gone back to .325 on that particular saw now

Finally got around to cutting firewood this week. The Stihl 024 AV ran great and it started very easy and idled great. So, as far as I am concerned, the Stihl 024 project turned our nice. New Stihl 16" bar, Stihl RM .325 chain, upgraded to rim sprocket and a new WT194 carb.Saw was made in 1984.
do you have a service manual?

Latest posts

Back