Jonsered 2255 - which chain??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat22lr

just some guy that burns wood
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Jonsered 2255. My previous chainsaw experience is 2 poulan 4018's. So my question is, is there any particular chain I should I try out besides the one that came stock? I am considering buying and using a 16inch bar and chain, as most stuff I'm cutting isn't that big, mostly just firewood duty. And saving the 20 inch bar for the bigger stuff that I occasionally cut. My firewood is mostly found along the side of the road after a tree has come down and sometimes dirty but not often. And varies from all sorts of species, from hardwood to pine. I am not all that experienced, so any advice would be great thanks in advance.

relative inexperience + firewood cutter + mostly fallen wood scavenged from the roadside == IMO you would probably be happier and safer with semi-chisel reduced-kickback (ANSI green triangle) chain

chisel chain cuts faster when sharp but it also dulls faster when cutting dirty wood. You can't always tell how much grit is embedded in the bark and roadside wood can be pretty dirty. Unless you want to give yourself an excuse to get more practice in learning how to sharpen your own chains.

as a side comment I hope that as a new guy you also picked up safety gear including helmet and chaps, they can make the difference between having a bad day and having a really bad one.

Thanks for the replies, I bought a Full Chisel Stihl chain from a local Stihl dealer. Its pro chain or non safety chain. I have cut a little with it. So far I like it. It cuts faster than the chain it came with. I would have gotten a semi-chisel but they didn't have any at the moment. I am not noticing a huge difference as far as kickback is concerned, although I am far more aware and am taking it slow and am being careful. I am going to buy some chaps soon before I do a lot more cutting also. I do appreciate the advice. The guy at the counter said I would never go back to a safety chain once I try one of these. He may be right. Time will tell. I checked out some pro saws today at another dealer that carried both stihl and husky. The weight difference is incredible. This place had them on the wall to fondle with out a salesman in talking range. A lot more comfortable. If the first Stihl dealer I went to was set up more like that I may have saved up a bit more and went with a pro saw. Maybe next year. I really like the weight and size of a Husqvarna 50cc pro saw I think it was a 545 maybe? price was around 550 or so. I picked up a couple new deer rifles over the last couple weeks and ammo is priority at the moment after bills and house stuff are in order. For now this Jonsered 2255 has been great, I am really enjoying it and I have no complaints.

Back