Jonsered 625 chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev490

Reaction score
How big of a bar will the jonsered 625 handle? Bought this saw for cutting 20" -30" oak trees. Have heard mixed feelings on how much this saw will handle. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.🙂

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_145446059.jpg
    IMG_20221116_145446059.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Its the old story- if the mount fits, you can bolt it up and the saw will spin the chain around the bar. If that is practical in the real World.
The fact of the matter is, you are cutting with what might be considered a fairly mild just above 60cc saw and you have to consider the oil delivery capabilities of any saw to be able to cope with a larger bar and therefore longer chain.
I have next to zero experience cutting Oak and certainly zero experience cutting it as it grows in your backyard.
I would hazard a guess 24" might be as large as you would wish to go- 20" might be considered ideal and 22" a good compromise.

20" is about all that saw motor will pull comforably. Slap a 670 top end on it and you're up to 24"-28"....again I'm saying pulling comfortably........not to say it won't pull a 24" just not a good match for a 61cc open port saw. The 630 West Coast with the same displacement came stock with a 24" but it sports some factory mods and is a closed port motor. It's also a balance issue....20" is the largest bar you can run on that saw that will sit normal with stock dogs......a 24" with stock dogs is nose heavy and the nose will be in the dirt every time you set it down without something under the bar. You have move up to large West Coast style dogs to keep a 24" up in the air at idle. By the time you get large dogs on you lose a coouple inches of cutting length so you really only end with 22" or so useful bar after all that. Just things to think about.....

Looks like it has the larger spikes on it?
24” not a problem with “right operator“ and sharp chain.
guys have used larger bars on saws like that, but they usually only put in on for that cut when they really need to and switch back to shorter bar when they can

Looks like it has the larger spikes on it?
24” not a problem with “right operator“ and sharp chain.
guys have used larger bars on saws like that, but they usually only put in on for that cut when they really need to and switch back to shorter bar when they can
All true.......I'm just saying the 625 is the least powerful saw in this Husky based family so matching a bar to the saw will be important especially considering the OP wants it to cut 24-30" Oak.....a good pull even for a bigger saw.

In hardwood, that saw us going to feel most productive with an 18-20” bar on it. It can physically run and oil a longer bar, but will require more patience and a lighter touch than I would prefer for as big a powerhead as that is.

When someone says 30” oak, my first question is whether we are just talking dropping it and walking away, or whether we are talking about cutting a long stem every 16” for firewood. If the former, you’ll be fine. If the latter, I would want more power, honestly.

I have a 625 with ported 272 top end. I run a 16” bar on it for blocking up hardwood firewood. 12-30” diameter stuff. Lots of overbucking and some cuts from both sides, obviously, but you can lean on it all you want and it is super productive.

In hardwood, that saw us going to feel most productive with an 18-20” bar on it. It can physically run and oil a longer bar, but will require more patience and a lighter touch than I would prefer for as big a powerhead as that is.

When someone says 30” oak, my first question is whether we are just talking dropping it and walking away, or whether we are talking about cutting a long stem every 16” for firewood. If the former, you’ll be fine. If the latter, I would want more power, honestly.

I have a 625 with ported 272 top end. I run a 16” bar on it for blocking up hardwood firewood. 12-30” diameter stuff. Lots of overbucking and some cuts from both sides, obviously, but you can lean on it all you want and it is super productive.
Yep my go to saw is a Husky 61 (practically the same saw as a 625) with a ported 268XP top end, squish set to 0.020", dual port muffler and a modded 250A from a 670 West Coast. I run a 20" on that cutting everything I need to cut. Good all around rig.....

IMG_1862.jpgIMG_1864.jpgIMG_1865.jpg

Latest posts

Back