Jonsered 625 ii modernized equivalent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqORbust

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After fudging around with a year 2015 ms250 and tearing apart a Jred 625ii, I've noticed there are some serious quality deficiencies in the ms250. It's also not in the same leauge...I get that. The Jred is in the pro...or semi pro leauge. As far as I'm concerned it's straight pro saw in its construction and service-ability. But, I'll leave that up for argument sake. I dont see what else they could have done to make it "fully pro". The semi pro comment stems from random internetting jargon.

If all pro saws are like this.... then just by default, and as someone who has a fine appreciation for quality, I might have to sell my ms250 and step into a relatively light weight 40-50cc pro saw just for its constructed nature. Or bin the ms250 and just run this jred.

The thing I like the most is the intake is one with the block and is independant of the handle.
I could also see the crankcase halves adding a tremendous amount of rigidity to the whole system adding to longevity.

Anyways, back to the thread title...

Many of you know the 625 is 61.5cc saw. And has a powerhead weight of 13.6lbs.

In construction, and CC vs weightwhat are the modern day equivalents to a Jred 625?

What CC pro saws today are in the 13.5ish weight class?
How heavy is a modern day 60CC pro saw?

Have any changes been made in the cylinder construction that would make a modern 60cc saw outpower this ol girl? Adding on to that, if new design makes a less CC saw more powerful, what saw would you say can keep up with this ol girl?

Are the Jreds just old and heavy for their power output?

Husqvarna 560xp, 555 and 562xp. (Plus the Jonsered equivalents)

Dolmar/Makita 6100 (which I love)

Stihl ms362.

Echo 620p.

Hmm. Ms361 (no longer in Stihls line up)

Just naming a few

As much as you like that 625 it was the least powerful of that family which all weighed practically the same. The 630 Super II is way more powerful/faster with the same cc but an closed port cyl with an unusual "D" shaped combustion chamber. The 670 Super II or Champ is more power still in the same package.

As much as you like that 625 it was the least powerful of that family which all weighed practically the same. The 630 Super II is way more powerful/faster with the same cc but an closed port cyl with an unusual "D" shaped combustion chamber. The 670 Super II or Champ is more power still in the same package.

The champs pop up for sale in the uk every now and again. They look nice. One thing I hate over the same Husky era saws was the shite looking chainbrake compared to the Husky 2 series

The champs pop up for sale in the uk every now and again. They look nice. One thing I hate over the same Husky era saws was the shite looking chainbrake compared to the Husky 2 series

The early Jonsered 6XX chain brakes were kinda wimpy looking but by the time you get up to the Super IIs or Champ they were the practically same as the Husky versions....using all the same internals and same style brake flag different only in how the top relates to the top handle angle. The cover itself is also different.....a Jred cover will fit on a Husky but not the other way around without alteration.

Looks like a few have had older brake flags used for repairs etc that I have seen. Either way I love a red and black saw. [emoji106]

Husqvarna 560xp, 555 and 562xp. (Plus the Jonsered equivalents)

Dolmar/Makita 6100 (which I love)

Stihl ms362.

Echo 620p.

Hmm. Ms361 (no longer in Stihls line up)

Just naming a few

Holy... ms361 59cc weight of 12.4lbs at 3.5kw.
Jred is a dinosaur at 13.6lbs and 2.9...

In my defense I havent even run this Jred 625... I just like the construction of it. Pretty stout.

Power:weight doesnt seem worth it at this point

Back