Jonsered 670 bits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know the easiest way to get a working chain brake on my jonsered 670? I've got the side cover but that's it. No handle, band or mechanism.
I know the 670 cover fits my husky 61 but the husky cover won't fit the jred, too long at the rear. Are the brake parts interchangeable? There are plenty of knock off husky side covers available, no jonsered ones. Could I just buy a husky cover and move the parts over or even just cut the back end off so it will fit the 670?

That's part no. 1

Part no. 2 is an air filter cover. These seem to be pretty difficult to come by. I've got a scruffy top cover but no filter cover.

Anyway, for the $0 I spent buying the saw its coming along ok. A $4 piston ring took it from almost 0 compression to 'really damn hard to pull' and I should have a new coil here this week. Hopefully it'll start and I'll have a $25 670. Plus whatever the new filter cover costs, and a chain adjuster, and a bar... and chain... and... etc.

I picked up a black 61 top cover and it fits, for the most part. Had to cut the internal baffle to clear the impulse line, the front hole doesn't line up, and the spark plug/cylinder is taller than the husky so it wont pull down correctly with the plug lead in place.
Should I just drill a hole in the top and let the plug peek out?
Oh, it runs now too.

You can buy a new aftermarket Husky 61 brake assembly, or find a good used one, and cut off the rear piece behind the chip guard. It will then be almost identical to a 630/670 brake and will work just fine.

If you have a newer style 670 the aftermarket 268 top cover will fit and you will need to drill and tap for the left rear screw hole. Paint it black with Krylon Fusion.Jons 625-670 mill saw (Medium).jpg Jons 625-670 mill saw 023 (Medium).jpg

What fits and not will depend on when the saw was made. There were major changes in 1987 and 1991.

670 > 670 Super > 670 Super II/Champ was part of the changes.

Yes. After '91 will have the newer style crank case which takes the newer style top cover and has the single-piece ignition. The IPLs give the serial number breakdowns.

My saw has the single ingnition, the serial number plate is missing though. Some of the plastics are stamped 94' and it has a champ starter cover. There's no guarantee that all the parts are original to this saw though.
That's good info, I'll grab another knock off 61 brake cover off ebay and just persevere with the top cover, this thing was never going to be good looking.

Yes. After '91 will have the newer style crank case which takes the newer style top cover and has the single-piece ignition. The IPLs give the serial number breakdowns.

There was a bit more to it - see attachment.

Attachments

• SB1991 Super II changes ++.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 23
Back