Jonsered 930 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a 930 super west coast with a burnt piston, I ordered a new golf piston for it. I was thinking of making it a milling saw, has anyone use on if these 900 series jonnys for milling and did they work well. I never ran the saw it was toast when I got it.

Golf is all I could find. I always go for meteor when there available but I'll try a golf this time. I sure will do a pressure test, ill probably change the seals right off though.

Got a Golf piston in an 820 and it has 30+ tanks of fuel on it. Runs very well, so don't worry too much. Only other one I know of is a VEC piston that northwood saw carries.

930's are really strong saws, especially if you have the later style cylinder with the transfers open to the case as on a 372. Pic below shows early style on the left, same as used on the 920. Newer style on the right. I actually have a couple NOS 920 Super top ends. 820-830 014.jpg

Got a Golf piston in an 820 and it has 30+ tanks of fuel on it. Runs very well, so don't worry too much. Only other one I know of is a VEC piston that northwood saw carries.

930's are really strong saws, especially if you have the later style cylinder with the transfers open to the case as on a 372. Pic below shows early style on the left, same as used on the 920. Newer style on the right. I actually have a couple NOS 920 Super top ends. View attachment 539995
tell me the running diif,,between a straight 920,,and a super..not being wise, either....

All the 920's and the early 930's run the same. The ones with the updated cylinder will all run stronger.

The service bulletin came out in early 1989, but it doesn't have a serial number brake for the change. Some saws that came with the early cylinder were updated by Tilton before they shipped them out, so the only way to see it is to pull it. A lot of the early Jonnys, 70E, 910, had that open to the case style. With this change to the 830/930 they went back to what they had been doing before Elux got involved.

I worked on a 930 that had a golf in it for many years no problem i just did the fuel line and carb kit strong running saws feels like a heavier husky 288 to me.

Thanks spike, I saw some of your vids on YouTube so I wasn't to worried about the golf piston. I think mine is the later open port on the cylinder, the ports are gonna get opened up a bit anyway

i have a 930 super west coast with a burnt piston, I ordered a new golf piston for it. I was thinking of making it a milling saw, has anyone use on if these 900 series jonnys for milling and did they work well. I never ran the saw it was toast when I got it.

I had a 920 that I used mostly for milling. My best "guesstimate" is that it milled around 5000 bd ft of hardwood (white oak, sugar maple, honey locust, & black walnut). Many of these cuts were 20-30in wide. I used a 34in Total Super bar with ripping chain. The saw, itself, performed very well, but the going was not fast. Milling cuts make a lot of dust, & the filtration is a problem. Often I had to stop once or twice during a heavy cut (24 or more in. wide & 8ft long) to clean the filter because the saw would start to run rich. I also made many much less demanding milling type cuts on walnut, black cherry, sugar maple, & apple rounds that I was slabbing into bowl turning blanks. These were done with a 24in Total Super bar & ripping chain. The saw was not underpowered for this work, but, as stated above, it was not fast. Hope this is helpful.

I had a 920 that I used mostly for milling. My best "guesstimate" is that it milled around 5000 bd ft of hardwood (white oak, sugar maple, honey locust, & black walnut). Many of these cuts were 20-30in wide. I used a 34in Total Super bar with ripping chain. The saw, itself, performed very well, but the going was not fast. Milling cuts make a lot of dust, & the filtration is a problem. Often I had to stop once or twice during a heavy cut (24 or more in. wide & 8ft long) to clean the filter because the saw would start to run rich. I also made many much less demanding milling type cuts on walnut, black cherry, sugar maple, & apple rounds that I was slabbing into bowl turning blanks. These were done with a 24in Total Super bar & ripping chain. The saw was not underpowered for this work, but, as stated above, it was not fast. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks SCH I'll mostly be milling soft wood probably only hemlock. What chain did you use

IIRC, it was Oregon. There may have been some improvements in ripping design since I last used it about 12-15 years ago.
I believe M Dave Lee does a lot of milling & may be a real good source of info on the subject. I did do about 1000 bd ft of red pine, & the saw handled it real well. It was quite a bit easier going than the hardwoods.

I have a 930 and do a bit of milling but I haven't had it that awful long and I always use my 076. My grandpa has an 830 and I'm ordering a golf piston for him, but nothing to report yet.

I will say this, my 076 is an absolute torque animal and when you're in wide hardwood its slow going no matter what. What makes the bigger saws infinitely better is not the speed but that they have the grunt. When you're hours on end walking a saw through a cut, it makes a difference.

Back