Jonsereds and husky same thing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A buddy of mine told me the other day that JR are the same thing as husky. Any truth to this? I looked at husky's site and a bunch of companies are on there to choose from. I noticed that some parts are the same for both. Just wondering.

Husky = Geo
Jonsered = Cadillac

Both are made by the same company. Jonsereds have a better fit and finish and some higher quality features about them - attention to the details may be a better way of putting it.

Manufacturing

So are they manufactured at the same exact facility? Side by side? Or is JR just one of the companies they own???

ciscoguy01 said:
So are they manufactured at the same exact facility? Side by side? Or is JR just one of the companies they own???
Same factory (Husqvarna), except for the cheapest homeowner saws of both brands- they are built by Poulan.

The first Jreds to be built by Husky was the 670 and 630, from 1982 or so.

The transition was finally ended close to 20 years later, when the 2077 and 2083 II were discontinued, I believe....

IMHO, when you buy a JRed, you get the best-looking saw made and you get the distinction (in any place I've been) of being different; your own man, if you will...a renegade. And you get a very nice saw to boot.:cool: Downside? It's a little tougher to get to the air filter...but you rarely have to clean it anyway...so that's a moot point.

litefoot said:
.... Downside? It's a little tougher to get to the air filter...but you rarely have to clean it anyway...so that's a moot point.
:laugh: That depends on which model it is, more than which brand.....

oldsaw said:
So, I must have the "Geo" with the V12. I'm okay with that...

Mark

I'm here laughing! The Geo thing wasn't a slam on Husky...but I like your quick witted response.

deezulsmoke said:
Stihl must be equal to a bentley then ??
Yeah, if you are referring to them being TOO expensive. LOL

Soooo

If they are built by the same company, why would someone say that one is better than another? If you buy a GMC your buying the same thing as a Chevy really, except you just paid about an extra few thousand for the GMC. Are the motors different? Or is it just the plastic casing? I.e. did you know that a hummer H2 is really a chevy tahoe frame with different body panels? Is this what we're talking about here in general??? And I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm thinking about buying a new new saw sometime in the near future. I have a JR dealer about 3 miles from my house, and a husky dealer a mile from where I work everyday. For pricing which am i better to go with? A 2171 vs. a 575XP. Both are 5.4hp. Which one would be more torquey? Or is there any diff?

ciscoguy01 said:
For pricing which am i better to go with? A 2171 vs. a 575XP. Both are 5.4hp. Which one would be more torquey? Or is there any diff?

I will refer you to post #3

2171 or the 575 well those are two different engine designs.
Let me ask you a question, What do you know about them ?

Husky and Jonsereds are the same engine in a different wrapper, exactly as in your truck comparison. Some feel the J-reds are assembled with a bit better fit and finish, and are less commonly encountered than their Husky brothers, mostly due to a smaller dealer network than anything else, which gives the Cadillac analogy. Most consider them to be better looking in red and black than the all orange Husky saws.

You'll pay a little more for a 2171 than a 357, but it will have far more torque than the 357. For small wood, the 357 will keep up or possibly even be slightly ahead, but as the wood grows larger, the 2171 will pull away, especally with increasing bar length. That's the difference between a 60 cc class saw and a 70 cc class saw, 70cc will give more torque and hp, and be better able to pull a longer bar in bigger wood. The 60cc saw can be tuned to have the same power output, and may cut quickly due to high chain speed, but the torque will be lower, and it will not be as happy with longer bars and bigger wood. Buy the right size saw for the wood you cut and the bar you need to pull, or deal with slower cutting if the saw is a little smaller.

nada

manual said:
2171 or the 575 well those are two different engine designs.
Let me ask you a question, What do you know about them ?

Actually, all I really know about either of these saws is that they are both rated at 5.4hp and 70cc class saws. To me, that really doesn't mean a whole lot. This is the way I look at it. Hook a 400hp truck up to the back of a 50hp tractor, like a John deere or an international and see what happens to that truck. It wouldn't even be a match. A tractor could rip a truck in half. Now put them on a race track and then your talking a different story. Most of the wood I cut is above 12", but not larger than say 30". I've already got a plethora of 4-5hp saws, with a Stihl 044 on the way, that's a 5.5hp saw which is where I'd like to stay at with a new purchase. I'm not preferential to JR or Husky. I do know that my natural tendency is to lean on the dogs quite a bit. Hence my main reasoning for questioning is the torqueyness of which one would be better suited to my style of cutting...

To be a bit more spesific, all Jonsered models (except the cheap Poulan made ones) are based on a Husky model, but not all Husky models are released as Jonsered - and those who are, sometimes a few years later.

Features, exact power rating and weight may vary slightly, and of course there are the streight across handlebars of the Jonsereds.....

SawTroll said:
To be a bit more spesific, all Jonsered models (except the cheap Poulan made ones) are based on a Husky model, but not all Husky models are released as Jonsered - and those who are, sometimes a few years later.

Features, exact power rating and weight may vary slightly, and of course there are the streight across handlebars of the Jonsereds.....

gotta love huskies not-straight handlebars :biggrinbounce2:

Back