Jotul F400 info required.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsereds 621

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have just recently acquired a single door f400 in very fair condition. In order for me and a mate to get it down a stone staircase and across deep gravel courtyard and into house I had to lighten it a lot, including taking off ash pan housing from base of stove. I'd say it was still a fair weight for two to handle but manageable.
Now the carcase and bits are in my living room, and it would seem to be a good time to replace the rope seal around the three sides of top of ash pit. I cannot decide what dia rope would be suitable.....does any body know from experience ? Also, the back burn plate ,(with the star, or whatever on it) has a void behind it. Is that filled with vermiculite, or left clear ? It doesn't have room for bricks, but its 's obviously going to get ash etc in there as it doesn't have an area for a seal.....or is it intended to breathe to inside stove ?
I have to make up at least one adjustable rear leg to accomodate undulations in natural slate hearth. It will not be noticeable, does anyone have a good simple design.....it's either that, or it'll be on beer mats !
Do I have the only six inch outlet jotul that won't accept a necked down six inch male end of quality stainless flue?
Nearly, but just not quite..... If so I have a four inch grinder handy. What is a European stove pipe adapter anyway? It's too dear at £50 to just order to find it doesn't fit either.
Any other tips gratefully accepted. Thanks.

I have just recently acquired a single door f400 in very fair condition. In order for me and a mate to get it down a stone staircase and across deep gravel courtyard and into house I had to lighten it a lot, including taking off ash pan housing from base of stove. I'd say it was still a fair weight for two to handle but manageable.
Now the carcase and bits are in my living room, and it would seem to be a good time to replace the rope seal around the three sides of top of ash pit. I cannot decide what dia rope would be suitable.....does any body know from experience ? Also, the back burn plate ,(with the star, or whatever on it) has a void behind it. Is that filled with vermiculite, or left clear ? It doesn't have room for bricks, but its 's obviously going to get ash etc in there as it doesn't have an area for a seal.....or is it intended to breathe to inside stove ?
I have to make up at least one adjustable rear leg to accomodate undulations in natural slate hearth. It will not be noticeable, does anyone have a good simple design.....it's either that, or it'll be on beer mats !
Do I have the only six inch outlet jotul that won't accept a necked down six inch male end of quality stainless flue?
Nearly, but just not quite..... If so I have a four inch grinder handy. What is a European stove pipe adapter anyway? It's too dear at £50 to just order to find it doesn't fit either.
Any other tips gratefully accepted. Thanks.
Shouldn’t the pipe fit “over” your stove outlet, not into it to help prevent any build up.

Shouldn’t the pipe fit “over” your stove outlet, not into it to help prevent any build up.

I believe inside is proper. I can not say with complete certainty, but I would think it should fit inside, the same as stove pipe installation. Such that creosote, if hot, flows inside and not outside the device, where if ignited could quickly become serious. Our installation with a Vermont Casting stove fits inside. It is an oval to round adapter. Don't remember about cost but was special order as not stocked by most places.

Well, got around the stove pipe fitting with simple shrink to stainless flue end.
On more detailed examination of side burn plates (detachable, so I detached them), it seems that they were originally sealed with a ceramic type mastic, and very little of it. These burn plates also conduct heated air to air wash, and through a separate chamber to the reburn system. As I have read a few reviews of poor flow to airwash leading to sooty glass complaints and because the old seal was almost completely ineffective, leading to this air leaking everywhere except where you want it (down the glass) I shall go with rope instead.
Plenty of others must have been in there on their stoves, so what did you use ?.... If I posted a question like this in the chainsaw section about an old saw I would most certainly get a flood of responses from most knowledgeable folk...
so go on, don't be shy !

Jotul tell me that gasket is just fire cement , so that is simple enough to replace. Surprised they didn't use something different, but they ought to know. Exploded view is not helpful for this one, as it shows fire cheek/ side plate as a spare, with gasket. Onward !

Latest posts

Back