Jumping the gun a bit... Smoke abation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After my wood boiler is fitted w/ a cat converter I don't expect a problem. However, its not completed yet and should it drag into the colder months I may have creosote ( imagine that ) in the chimney. Any quick fixes other than a brush i.e. logs, chemicals, natural substances etc. ? Obviously the wood is seasoned and 90 percent hardwood.

:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

That ain't gonna werky

A Catyletic converter is supposed to convert something into something else.
Un burned wood products require more air and temperature to burn completely.

The tar is gonna plug up a catty con in about 8 seconds.

The only real solution is to burn dry seasoned wood.

My $0.02 worth

With all due respects, its already " werky " in my wood stove for almost 20 years with the same type wood I'll be using. Its quite simple, get the temps up high enough and the cat converter burns up the junk. I clean my chimney every year and there's literally nothing inside. Please do a little research and you'll find a lot if info regarding cat converters.
The wood boiler manufacturers are already experimenting with them. They work.. Its just that simple. The only down side is they should be replaced periodically. This is not new, they have been around for years. While havent they done this earlier ? Simple.. they didnt have to.. Now that more are in operation problems are occurring in urban and suburban areas.

** of course you are right about burning seasoned wood, however I've burned real junk ( read half rotten softwoods ) with nary a whimper from the converter. In fact, sometimes it seems the more tar in the wood, the better the cat works. The wood just doesnt last as long as hardwoods.

:greenchainsaw:

Back