Just bought my first Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billbillw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After years of saying I needed a chainsaw and then really getting an interest over the last month, I finally jumped on a used Stihl today. My focus has mostly been on other more affordable brands since it seems that used Stihls usually carry a hefty premium price around here. Even though I am just a homeowner who will probably never use the saw more than a dozen times a year, I really wanted a saw that had a split metal case. If the price is similar, I'd rather have an older pro model than a new homeowner model. I'm not afraid to wrench.

I had pretty much ruled out being able to buy a Stihl for under $300 with a split case so I was leaning towards several other models like the Dolmar 420, some of the Zenorah/Redmax saws, and a few others. I was trying my luck on eBay for a week or two with no luck.

Then today, I randomly checked Craigslist. There was a newly listed 026 that was literally right around the corner from my house. In the Atlanta metro area, that almost never happens. You usually have to drive 30-60 minutes to get something on CL, and face the possibility that it will be broken, trashed, missing parts, etc. This was less than 1 mile away! The price was almost too good to be true! An 026, with Stihl case, a couple bottles of mix oil, some files and tools for almost half what everyone else is asking for used 026. I called without hesitation and arranged to stop by after work.

The saw was a bit dirty, but it fired up on the 3rd pull and seems to be lively and in good working order. I checked to make sure this was a version that had a high speed adjustment screw on the carb and it did. That was all I needed to seal the deal.

It seems to be a later model, made in Va Beach with plastic handle assembly. I asked him how old he thought it was. He said he bought it from his brother in 2007 and he thought his brother had bought it just a few years before that. I'm not sure how late they made the 026, but somehow, I think that is probably off a bit. I'll probably send Stihl an email and ask them.

Anyway, I'm glad to be a Stihl owner. My dad had one for years and cut down dozens of white oak at our old house in Michigan. Most of my friends in Georgia who have saws have Stihl also. There is a nice little Stihl shop about 10 minutes away also.

I did some quick cleaning tonight and snapped some quick pics. I will be going through it more thoroughly when the weekend gets here and making sure everything is adjusted, cleaned, etc.

Not bad for a first saw IMO.

P71408211024x768.jpg~original

P71408201024x768.jpg~original

P71408161024x768.jpg~original

P71408171024x768.jpg~original

Great looking saw. Congrats and enjoy!

Oh yeah, many members on this forum do not believe that you can get a smoking deal on a saw on CL. Then, you tell them you can, and they end up calling you all kind of names, and accuse you of buying a stolen saw.

Oh well......some people. :rolleyes:

I probably should have mentioned that I live on a 2 acre wooded lot next to a creek. In the last year, I've had two trees split off large (10" at the base) branches that I've had to clean up. I've had to solicit help from a friend in both cases but did a large amount of sawing by hand with a bow saw. The last time was just a few weeks ago and that is when I said, I need a fricken chainsaw!

Oh yeah, many members on this forum do not believe that you can get a smoking deal on a saw on CL. Then, you tell them you can, and they end up calling you all kind of names, and accuse you of buying a stolen saw.

I would really doubt this is a stolen saw. The guy I bought it from is a 50-something machinist who is being transferred for his job to the Houston area. His new house is on a small lot so he is dumping saw and riding mower. That's as legit as I've ever seen.

I use to feel the same as you till I had to turn in a 461 and a 660 I bought off cl. They were stolen. I think I'm gonna get restitution from the guy though. The guy worked for a tree service and stole a bunch of stuff and sold it all. You cannot be too carefull. I actually will not buy a used saw ever again.

Wow! That's a very nice 026! I'm a pretty big fan of those saws and I'm sure you will be too. Does it have a 16" bar on it? That's what I like on those saws the best. It's not the newest saw (older style screw on air filter cover, metal badge on top, can't see from here whether it says "Made in West Germany" on the starter housing), but its in absolutely excellent shape compared to about 99% of those that age Iv'e seen. Many have been run into the ground. Take care of her and she'll last a long time I'm sure. Good score!

I was drooling over that saw on CL. IF it had been closer to me it would have been mine. I hemmed and hawed over it a bit and decided I don't need any more 026 saws right now. I'd of bought it to flip though but I just didn't have time in my schedule to make the drive. Very nice acquisition.
I'm talking myself out of an MS660 that looks pretty nice for $700.

That's a great little saw. Makes me think I need to resuscitate my f.i.l.'s old 026 he gave me... never be as clean as that one though!

Wow! That's a very nice 026! I'm a pretty big fan of those saws and I'm sure you will be too. Does it have a 16" bar on it? That's what I like on those saws the best. It's not the newest saw (older style screw on air filter cover, metal badge on top, can't see from here whether it says "Made in West Germany" on the starter housing), but its in absolutely excellent shape compared to about 99% of those that age Iv'e seen. Many have been run into the ground. Take care of her and she'll last a long time I'm sure. Good score!

I believe it has the 16" bar. This one says Made Va Beach. Pretty sure, this has always been a seldom used homeowners saw and I could probably just go out and use it a few times per year without issue, but I plan to go through each system and make sure they are all working properly.

Nice.. I like my o26's also. Light and handy to carry and pack around. My favorite is a 16" 3/8 bar on it. 18" seems like the wrong spot on my back to be stooped over. I've run 20" before and it was fine but 14" or so wood would slow it down quite a bit and I have plenty larger displacement saws for 20 and up.
That generation of Stihls is noted for the air filters filling up with saw dust rather fast, but its a breeze to unscrew the filter cover and tap out the excess at refuels and keep them breathing well and running clean. Do that and normal maintnence and normally that saw will last as well or better then most. If u decide to sell it after you used it for years, you usually get your money back & sometimes more also.

That is a nice looking saw! :rock:

I bought this one for my FIL a while back. Cleaned it up, adjusted the carb, and slapped a new chain on it. He was pleasantly surprised when I handed it over to him. :)
image-jpg.357333

This is the nicest saw I ever found on Craigslist, a 262xp that now resides with another AS member. I did get a good deal on this saw, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't stolen...
image-jpg.354444

I would really doubt this is a stolen saw. The guy I bought it from is a 50-something machinist who is being transferred for his job to the Houston area. His new house is on a small lot so he is dumping saw and riding mower. That's as legit as I've ever seen.

I wasn't insinuating that yours was stolen. I was just making the point that CL can and does have good deals, if you happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Nice saw..........enjoy! :rock:

So I'm in the middle of my 026 restore, top to bottom, everything but the crankshaft, oil pump, flywheel, and case is being replaced. A total rebuild. I wish my saw looked as good as yours . It's not bad by any means but that is one clean older saw you have there. One word of advice, when problems arise, just ask me or other members here about fixing them. It's a really easy saw to work on and parts are relatively cheap and plentiful. Plus it will save you all that dealer money on repairs. You'll like that saw, they're real runners when they work right. Feel free to pm me with any questions about this saw and happy cutting. Peace and bar grease!

Latest posts

Back