just finished 20 ft csm on wheels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 55 CC Husqvarna chainsaw w/20" bar. I use a Carlton ripping chain with teeth at 10 degrees. I have been milling 10" in diameter cedars and it does drag sometimes but I'm getting through ok. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to optimize my midrange saw with either a different bar (besides the factory one), different kerf of chain, bigger sprocket, etc. Before anyone mentions it I do keep my chain sharp and serviceable while cutting. Thanks.

Buy the stihl ripping chain that Bailey's sells (picco), unless the Carlton chain you are using is already .325 low pro chain, if not, get the picco, you will not be disappointed. If you still are unhappy with cutting speed, you will need to upp your cc to the 70 class, a la 372xp or equivalent.

im sorry i have to disgree with you on the limited slip, limited slip was developed for tighter turning radius, and more control especailly where traction was needed but to be applied evenly so less loss of control would be experienced, it is considerd a safer drive system and most if not all of today's vehicle's use it, now posi- traction or welding the spiders up, or a locker, will force both wheels to spin at the same rate continually, and is desired in alot of applications where more power transfeered is ideally mainly as far as car related hot rods and four wheel drives.
as far as bsm and csm they both have thier places, it really depends on what you are doing and what your trying to achieve...

what you're describing as a limited slip is actually a plan ole open drive. spider gears that turn freely. a limited slip has some device or mechanism to lock or restrict the motion of the spider gears. most vehicles do not come with limited slip unless you pay extra for it.

Last edited:
hemlock beech handicap ramp

well the ramp lasted longer than my buddy did . His sister just told me that his ailments finally did him in. I went and looked at the ramp and it still is fine that ramp will last for 15-20 years. I told her that I would take it apart, or leave it in for the next people. and she said that she will see if the new owners want it or not.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I remember this tread. It started good and went to well it just went. I hope your projects have gone well.

csm

well a little update I just got a contact to cut some trees from longwood gardens for their shop products ... they seem not to be able to find anyone to cut these old trees I,ll have some pictures soon of this project.

Latest posts

Back