Just some info about boiler thermostats.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirenut2266

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey Fellas: Been wiring a few boilers lately and finally found (2) thermostat's that are truly made for boiler applications. The first is a Honeywell Pro 5000. This one is decent, has a dip switch for "radiant" applications. About $60...The second one, bar far the best I have ever used is a Tekmar 507. This is truly made for boiler applications. Has a circuit board built in , it measures the amount of time from call for heat, till temp set point made. It measures this for the lifetime, so overtime, you don't get that overshoot in temp common on boilers. Overtime, "it assumes", that even though set point is not made, it will stop call for heat because it has previously measured your rise in temp from previous usage. i thought it was BS, Hah, till I installed a few and talked to homeowners. All said, noticed home much more comfortable in a couple days, no more set t-stat at 70deg, but why is house 78deg???? They are spendy, but foolproof, $90......I personally feel it will pay for itself in a month or less. You won't find at big box stores, I purchased at plumbing wholesalers. Give it some thought, hands down, no better thermostat.

Thanks for the info...I'm using a leftover "mercury" U.S. made T87 I had on the shelf for years, only problem is getting the anticipator set right for my setup.

Slab Sensor.............

I like the look of the Tekmar 509 with the slab sensor because you can set a min slab temp. Does anyone know how to install a slab sensor "after the fact" I did not install a sleeve for a slab sensor when we poured as I figured that a regular t-stat would be sufficient. Now I notice that solar gain temp rise allows my slab to cool quite a bit then the system plays catch-up in the evening once the sun goes down and the house begins to cool. I like the idea of setting a min slab temp and keeping the floor "pre-heated" all day.

Any suggestions?

Ha: I thought about that too. If your brave, do you know where lines are poured in your crete? If so....gamble.......Drill 1/4" whole, and install sensor and grout small hole shut? I think this will work okay, but, you nick a pex, your so scewd!!!!!!!Just a thought:confused:

Sensor

Could find an out of the way place and epoxy it to slab and insulate it on top to keep air from affecting it.

Could find an out of the way place and epoxy it to slab and insulate it on top to keep air from affecting it.

pull off a baseboard and hide it there, but.....like wirenut said: be careful of the pex lines!!!!

using the epoxy or even caulk will "insulate" it from the air. run the wires behind the baseboard and into the wall.

Back