Just some junk saws from the 80s-90s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I get the “junk” from my saw dealer in town. I buy a lot of parts and equipment from them, great guys small crew. Mostly it’s ruobi, plastic Homelite, Poulan and box store trash. But I’ve gotten good stuff too. 038 mag, couple good wackers, giant vac 8hp blower. All of it needs work, wouldn’t be scrap otherwise. As is the case today. The Stihl wacker looks decent missing spool, has good compression. Shindaiwa 488, 272xp, 266xp, 262se (rough), 044 has angled top fins usually means 10mm wrist pin. I’ll be digging in to these soon6D01A7D9-DE2B-4F56-A721-4297AF38569A.jpeg40908FDF-BE12-4E22-ABF7-8834ABE38A57.jpeg2EA4E997-654D-40D9-95F3-DCF26BC701A6.jpegB8D434F2-50C5-4DF9-A060-6BC0EB7C80E9.jpeg

I pulled mufflers last night. The 266SE is toast which I had figured. The 266xp, unfortunately has been dug into. Jug is loose and piston is missing. I’ll do into it deeper at some point but that was disappointing.
The 044 has a perfect piston as do the 272 488. 3 out 5 isn’t bad.

29C449AC-CE9D-4DA6-8DEF-35AE00F79C02.jpeg

8EA82D3A-E9F3-4340-8796-88A3BFAFECA8.jpeg
C0AE68A2-4361-4BB9-AABA-AFD1F5B1092F.jpeg

I've checked the price of pistons and cylinders for the Husqvarnas of that era and they're a little more than I like to pay but am wondering if the Chinese make them for these saws. If so, I suppose you could still rebuild them and not have too much in the project.
I started my 61 project with the idea of selling it and making a little off of it but the more I play around with it the more I might want to call it a keeper and look around for something else to get rid of..

have you tried cleaning up those 266 cylinders - meteor is a good price for pistons with quality but make sure you get the right one for the cylinder...Hyway makes pretty good cylinders but it would become a 268 and would, imo, stay away from pop ups but sometimes saws just become parts saws if they are not worth fixing.

The jug is loose on the case of the 266. I’ll be curious to see how it looks. Better question is why the piston was removed and then the saw reassembled. I’ve gotten hundreds of saws and this is the first time I’ve seen this.

The jug is loose on the case of the 266. I’ll be curious to see how it looks. Better question is why the piston was removed and then the saw reassembled. I’ve gotten hundreds of saws and this is the first time I’ve seen this.

Pull it apart, see it is beyond repair- take out piston so you know what you need for a replacement, loose fit the cylinder back on so you don't loose parts and have the crankcase open to debris ingress.

Pull it apart, see it is beyond repair- take out piston so you know what you need for a replacement, loose fit the cylinder back on so you don't loose parts and have the crankcase open to debris ingress.
I hope that’s the case. Piston is an easy fix. Locating one might be difficult. But that saw is complete

266 pistons are easy to find, I use Meteor with cabers, like I said make sure you get the right piston, some are windowed some are not and AB or whatever should be stamped on the top of your cylinder. worth a few bucks to to put a good piston in it and the difference in good compression when the ring or rings are actually round, cheap parts are not really worth it, seals are quite common as well. IMO

266 pistons are easy to find, I use Meteor with cabers, like I said make sure you get the right piston, some are windowed some are not and AB or whatever should be stamped on the top of your cylinder. worth a few bucks to to put a good piston in it and the difference in good compression when the ring or rings are actually round, cheap parts are not really worth it, seals are quite common as well. IMO
I’ve only used oem parts on all my rebuilds. Years ago I had a bad experience with a 55 Husqvarna using Chinese parts. The last major build was p/c for a jred 2171, used husky 372 parts and no surprises. I’ll get the best piston available for it.

Latest posts

Back