just wont fall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
I work with a guy that had the same problem. The tree was stuck in another one. He finally wiggled the saw out, the tree kicked back and the saw cut his leg. Nice big gash. So nows he is cut and the tree is still standing, he didn't want to leave it so he started hacking on it again. Now the tree falls and hits him on the shoulder on the way down. Talk about beginners luck...Bob

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Addicted to ArboristSite
I doubt if he did, he is always in a hurry. He is lucky to be alive. Heck if the tree just knocked him out he would have bled to death. Some guys should not have toys...Bob

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
why are there 2 back cuts on that tree? it also looks like theres 2 spots where a falling notch was cut too. but what saw model is that? I dont recognise it.

MacDaddy

MacDaddy

Addicted to ArboristSite
He was tring to get the tree to slip off the stump And thats a poulan pro 475 that little saw realy runs I would like to have one for fire wood

Gearhead1

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Looks like a nightmare to me!

He might be well off to unbolt the powerhead from the bar and chain (leave that in the tree) and get back quite a distance in the opposite direction of the lean with a winch or lots of chain and a come-a-long and pull the trunk off the stump.

Blowdown1

Blowdown1

ArboristSite Operative
oldsaw-addict said:
but what saw model is that? I dont recognise it.

I knew one of you collector freaks would be pondering that one. I'm surprised you guys didn't have a "guess the models" when he posted the pic w/ his truck and the maple rounds. I guess everyone was so excited about the truck the saws went unnoticed. :)

But, MacDaddy, could you share w/ us how he got to that point? I imagine some of the experienced guys could figure out the order in which your buddy tried to butcher that tree, but I can't.

It would be a good learning experience for some people here to see what can lead to trouble. (besides picking up a saw when you shouldn't) :p

Here is my amateur analysis: right bottom was humboldt notch, saw got stuck on the back cut when the tree settled back on the bar instead of falling. Used second saw to cut a notch in the direction of lean (left) and t barberchaired and is now snagged in another tree. Is this right?

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Golly, G.

Very DANGEROUS for anyone around there.

Get a timberjack and slide the trunk off before someone gets hurt or killed.

TimberPig

TimberPig

ArboristSite Guru
Blowdown1 said:
I knew one of you collector freaks would be pondering that one. I'm surprised you guys didn't have a "guess the models" when he posted the pic w/ his truck and the maple rounds. I guess everyone was so excited about the truck the saws went unnoticed. :)

But, MacDaddy, could you share w/ us how he got to that point? I imagine some of the experienced guys could figure out the order in which your buddy tried to butcher that tree, but I can't.

It would be a good learning experience for some people here to see what can lead to trouble. (besides picking up a saw when you shouldn't) :p

Here is my amateur analysis: right bottom was humboldt notch, saw got stuck on the back cut when the tree settled back on the bar instead of falling. Used second saw to cut a notch in the direction of lean (left) and t barberchaired and is now snagged in another tree. Is this right?

How did the saw end up pinched in the bottom backcut then?

It looks to me more like he made the top cuts first and then moved to the bottom, figuring it will go the other way from where he was originally facing it. He made the cuts and it went the original way, pinching the bar. Also where were the wedges? Or did they kick out and the saw got pinched?

MacDaddy

MacDaddy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Blowdown1 said:

You are correct sir That is exactly how he did it The tree is on the ground now so no worries for others

Mange

Mange

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bob Wright said:
I have done that a few times. I always carry a spare B/C...Bob
Is it not amazing how far you can get with just the one saw ;)

Alway's have a spare chain and bar with you. I doubt you will regret it.

Last edited:
BlueRidgeMark

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looks like somebody overestimated his ability! I ain't no pro but I'm pretty sure I'd have asked for help once the saw got stuck. It should have been pretty obvious by then which way the weight was going.

Of course, I don't think I'd have tried to fell that tree that way in the first place.
confused.gif

I hope.

Latest posts