Kill a hardwood or three

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyfnp3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a great mountain view off to the west of my house, only problem is my wife refuses to let me drop several hardowoods (red and white oak) that are obstructing the view. I'd like to kill these trees off and get 'em down without ringing them or any other obvious trauma that will get Mom's finger pointed at me. Any suggestions?

I'd like to preserve the trees, of course, but it is the tree crowns that are blocking the view, 3 of them. To vista cut for decent exposure without taking the trees down would require them to be cut down to approximately 12-15 feet of trunk from the base. The trees are approximately 70 feet tall.

Originally posted by andyfnp3
To vista cut for decent exposure without taking the trees down would require them to be cut down to approximately 12-15 feet of trunk from the base.
Look at what "decent" exposure means to you and Mom. You want it all, but will need to compromise on the kind of vista pruning mb is talking about. Gaps at key sight lines will allow a view and the tree too.

It's also called "windowing", and can leave a very attractive oak tree. Most agree the view is best if it includes trees too. Several arborists in the Asheville area such as Pinnacle Tree Svc do it well.
It'[s hard to visualize; email me if you want pictures.

I was living in Asheville when I started learning the new way. Is Dan Flinn still around? He use to come to AS a while back but have not seen him around lately. Is Darrel Shnider still around?Horticare????

Originally posted by monkeypuzzle
I was living in Asheville when I started learning the new way. Is Dan Flinn still around?
Last I knew he was, don't knowthe others you mentioned, being 4 hrs from there.
Anyone who can relate experience windowing please post; pics would be great. Meanwhile Andy you may want to search on your own and contact local arborists who can refer you to some of their work.

I've had clients who changed their minds on % of unobstructed view they needed and allowed trees to gradually regrow into sight lines that were not so key. They are now happy with the compromises they made between the value delivered by the trees and the value delivered by the horizon.

At its best, a thinned stand of trees can render an ancient Oriental feel to the view, as enough of the most vigorous branches are preserved, to provide for the tree's needs while the rest of the crown is opened up to permit view.

Back