Killed my Dolmar 5100S??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a couple of 5100's that have failed due to fuel! Rich up the fuel and the high jet seems to solve the problem.

About time someone hit the nail on the head, those factory RPM spec are what they need to print to keep the EPA happy, a little lean, then use gas with ethonal it just gets worse. Steve

Are you guys trying to make me change my mind on a Dolmar 510 or 5100s?

I was excited thinking I finally made up my mind but now your making me sketchy!
I changed my mind from a stihl ms260 pro due to price and go with the Dolmar.

Now I am just confused again!

Get a Husky NE346xp, and be done with all worries! :yoyo: :yoyo: :rockn:

Eric...I always cut at full throttle, but in harder wood the saw does not always run at the same full cutting speed that it does in soft wood. I read the previous comments as applying to that situation.
"Halv throttle" should not be a problem then, but maybe you overheat the saw by simply overtaxing it - lighten the pressure on the saw when it starts to bog, let it rev up before you continue the cut.....

...and I think .325x7 is a good idea in that wood!

Never had any kind of trouble with the 5100SH I got for Witchy - it started out at 14200rpm, and I just richened the L a tad in an attempt to make it accellerate better - it helped, but it still is is nowhere close to my 361 and 346 in that respect......

Last edited:
The 5100 has a few major design flaws. You would think a manufacture like Dolmar, would have tested their products before they started selling them.

Yeah they don't last. Any saw that runs 14'500 out of the box and even brags about it on the air filter cover, not to mention runs $100-200 less than their two nearest competitors should make the consumer think. The 7900 sounds like a much better built product but as a new dolmar user I wasn't dumping the loot right off the bat for the big saw until I made sure that the quality was there. And i'm sorry I ran the 7900 at the dealer and it wasn't much more performance wise than my 460 especially if it last as long as the 5100's that were crap. Even if it was 150 less. Maybe dolmar should worry about a quality saw instead of one that brags about cutting speed. The market they wanna target would much rather appreciate it.

Get a Husky NE346xp, and be done with all worries! :yoyo: :yoyo: :rockn:

True there. I don't have one but I do run a 260 and have ran a 346 and must say they are two of the most reliable and finest saws in their class. Run a 325 16"

yup, and put a 3/8's chain full chisel, 18 or 20" bar, should rip right through that dry hardwood. ;)

Will it LOLOL cause my 2153 won't even come close to having the torque to pull 3/8" 18" in hardwood and I even paid the muffler tax.......

Scott

Hey Andy so why is it that the 260 pro is a little more that $100 more than a PS5100................. Ohh thats right steal dealers need to make more $$ to pay for corporate advertising..............MANDATORY

Scott

"Dolmar 5100's are the cat's pajamas!! You should all get one!!"

"Hey, wait, that guy had a problem with his saw, they all must be junk!! Get rid of these pieces of crap!!!"

"Did you hear that? Someone said Stihl isn't the Holy Grail! Grab your pitchforks, let's get em'!!!"

I love AS, however, I think it's very amusing sometimes. Continue!

Oh yeah, and I'll keep using my 5100 thank you very much. I know, it's an inferior product, and will shatter like an old cookie next time I use it, but I'm just not worthy of being on Stihl's payroll yet. :) haha

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This thread is turning into a pizzing contest. Don't understand why. A 5100 bites the dust, so what, hell all saws, no matter the brand, bite the dust now and then.

Will it LOLOL cause my 2153 won't even come close to having the torque to pull 3/8" 18" in hardwood and I even paid the muffler tax.......

Scott
I cut a lot of locust yesterday with my NE346xp. Running 3/8 LGX, 28" Dolmar bar. I was amazed how long the lgx stayed sharp. The little 346 amazed myself and the others watching, sailed right through it!

Hey Andy so why is it that the 260 pro is a little more that $100 more than a PS5100................. Ohh thats right steal dealers need to make more $$ to pay for corporate advertising..............MANDATORY

Scott

Which Andy? Oh well, I'm one...

It's because they can... in other words,.. customers keep on buying them.. Maybe it's because they only last 20 years of hard use. lolol

Dolmar should be thankful Stihl has a much more expensive similar sized saw . Image how it would screw their market if the 260 was $100 cheaper :greenchainsaw:

Hey... maybe Dolmar should advertise too;) Oh.. BTW... the advertising contribution to Corp is 1%.... of cost, so $3-$4 on a 260.

So...

None of this matters anyhow -all of these "old" saws (all brands) will be gone in year, replaced with the heavier, more plastic, leaner versions.. Such fun..

Last edited:
Back