Kingston Gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAYINWOOD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys,the weather is looking Canadian-ish for Saturday the 18th.Low of -7c high -4c with 30 km winds.I don't have a F chart but 32F is our 0.So guessing,-4c is 24 ish.30 km winds are approx.20mph.So like the old boy down the road says"Get your hands off your.......and grab your socks,we've got wood to cut".

We need to know?

I Have a list of the known people attending.I need to know by Thursday,March 16/2006 if anybody else is showing up.Just got a call from Quebec,so I need final numbers.This GTG is an open invitation just PM your intentions.Big Wood demo sounds positive.Thanx Jeff

A little equation

Just because I am a natural pessimist I recieved a formula for a 250cc bike saw on gas in the same wood vs a piped 088 or 3120 on gas.I need someone "qualified" to give me another version.If a bike runs 5 seconds the chainsaw should run??????

Jeff, sounds like just the just the kind of weather for my lucky "milking boots". I'll bring along a loop of barbed wire to try on your saw instead of that old square ground junk you have all dulled up from your winters wood cutting. I hope the tree huggers down there haven't spiked the wood!:chainsaw:

I plan on coming up to pick up on saturday. I have to get one of my race saws from Ed. Playinwood- could you PM me some directions from 1000 islands. Let me know if you need anything. I just plan on coming up and shooting the breeze, no need to run saws.

Chopwood said:
I plan on coming up to pick up on saturday. I have to get one of my race saws from Ed. Playinwood- could you PM me some directions from 1000 islands. Let me know if you need anything. I just plan on coming up and shooting the breeze, no need to run saws.
ON ITS WAY

Crofter said:
Jeff, sounds like just the just the kind of weather for my lucky "milking boots". I'll bring along a loop of barbed wire to try on your saw instead of that old square ground junk you have all dulled up from your winters wood cutting. I hope the tree huggers down there haven't spiked the wood!:chainsaw:
Frank,Frank,Frank.This is a fashion chainsaw show.On the cover of GQ.Personnally,I'm wearing the old ball cap and torn/frayed Carhartt bibs.Sunglasses,GAP sweatshirt,and Irish Setter Goretex,800 grams Thinsulate will round out the visable ensemble.If that 20 mph wind gets tuff,slipping on No-name thick hooded sweatshirt.Barring that(gasp) a TOUQUE.If you need direction while at my house,ask the 40"ish young lady in Pinky/purple full snowsuit.She has all the preparations and logistics in her head and she will surely tell you where to go:) Barb wire???? Thats the stuff we rip our coats on when we cross a fence:cheers: Bring a few new chains,or old and play with the grinder.

PLAYINWOOD said:
Just because I am a natural pessimist I recieved a formula for a 250cc bike saw on gas in the same wood vs a piped 088 or 3120 on gas.I need someone "qualified" to give me another version.If a bike runs 5 seconds the chainsaw should run??????

Try this PLAYINWOOD....The World Record in 27" cottonwood with a one cylinder Hotsaw is 2.47sec....... my guess is a good piped 088, 3120, will cut that in 8 to 9sec.

Hay jeff looks like the good old canadian hard maple will last a while longer as all any one cuts anymore seems to be punky soft wood.Your thoughts.Hope you got some real good hard maple lined up for the guys with there pulp wood cuttin saws.Cheers Don.Ps Please try and get some videos and turn up the light on them pictures,half the video are so dark you can hardy see whats going on.Thanks.

donnyman said:
Hay jeff looks like the good old canadian hard maple will last a while longer as all any one cuts anymore seems to be punky soft wood.Your thoughts.Hope you got some real good hard maple lined up for the guys with there pulp wood cuttin saws.Cheers Don.Ps Please try and get some videos and turn up the light on them pictures,half the video are so dark you can hardy see whats going on.Thanks.
I'll see what I can ararrange.:) As for " punched out"" pulp wood saw"It does real well.I mean I have only cut 40 or so cubic cords of mostly hard maple,elm and red oak with it.:clap:

Hi Jeff.What thickness of logs you got for the gtg.16'' hard body maple with very litte heart would be a good.See if you can get some good video or stills would you please.Good luck to ya.Keep the rrrrrs up and keep her sharp.We be talkin to ya.Don.

bike vs mod production

At Boonville NY they have a big contest with 3 cuts in 20 inch white pine, cold start. A good 250 bike saw (not a Rotax, which is 325+cc) would probably do that race consistently in the 6 - 7 sec range with a top operator. I have personally never seen a modified production saw cut that race in under 10 seconds, but Matt Bush told me his Chauncey Varney 3120 on 1/2 alcohol, 1/2 gas cut it in the low 9s one year.

I'm not sure what saw Marcel used to run there in that class (when they had a production class) or what he ran for fuel, but he was always in the low 10s I believe. My homelite 750 was usually between 11.5 and 12.5 running pump gas and I usually came in second place to Marcel... One year they had 18 or 19 inch wood and I was in the 10s (though still 2nd place).

If you were looking for a direct conversion... I'm not sure there is one. In big wood you could probably say that the production saw would be 1/2 again longer than the 250 but in smaller wood I would think the difference would be a smaller percentage thanks to rpm vs torque.

Hope my rambling helped...

Mike

Back