KM130 has landed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so it may not be PURELY a chainsaw...but it can and will play the part on occasion. And with just over 1.7bhp it'll be like having a KM660 (o.k. maybe not...)

Picked it up today w/ line head and weed blade. First one my dealer has had in stock and they all had to take it for a 'spin' just to feel it snap ligaments in thier wrists. :D

Owner has decided to have it replace the 110. He's gonna stock the 55, 90, and 130 and get the 110 as needed.

Gonna confiscate the pole pruner attachment from my father in law and go make some sawdust!

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
Ok, so it may not be PURELY a chainsaw...but it can and will play the part on occasion. And with just over 1.7bhp it'll be like having a KM660 (o.k. maybe not...)

Picked it up today w/ line head and weed blade. First one my dealer has had in stock and they all had to take it for a 'spin' just to feel it snap ligaments in thier wrists. :D

Owner has decided to have it replace the 110. He's gonna stock the 55, 90, and 130 and get the 110 as needed.

Gonna confiscate the pole pruner attachment from my father in law and go make some sawdust!

Chaser

Your going to get a kick out of that thing. Power is awesome, its smooth, cranks nice and easy. One of the neatest things about the 130 is how it goes from idle to top speed, takes a millisecond. Enjoy......

...so if I am gonna do the 30/50/70cc three saw plan and am just beginning and am planning with starting with the 30cc and waiting for the next Hurricane to get the 50cc...then can I just get a KM130 as my 30cc saw?

johnnybe said:
...so if I am gonna do the 30/50/70cc three saw plan and am just beginning and am planning with starting with the 30cc and waiting for the next Hurricane to get the 50cc...then can I just get a KM130 as my 30cc saw?

If you want to reach up and saw some limbs yeah. The Km130 with a prunner is one bad little chain saw from the gound up to about 10-13 feet or so. It won't do you much good for ground work, kinda long for that......

...the year round use will mainly be maintenance pruning at all heights...new growth at ground level and storm debris on a 28 ft ladder or the roof. ..isn't this what the lightweight 30cc saw in the 3 saw plan is intended for? For the light duty stuff that's low, can't you just stand away from the target or are you gonna be butchering too many cuts? ...and for the high stuff it seems like cutting out and away from you might be safer if this thing isn't too heavy and you're well secured. ...seems like i see most of the bucket truck people doing it this way instead of getting right up on it.
...i can see where cutting the stuff up once it's on the ground would be a pain though. ...maybe it's a better idea to go this route ONLY if you're laying down for the 30cc & 50cc simultaneously?? thoughts?

Certainly something to consider johnneybe. Not much wieght diff. between the 30cc and 50cc saws, but a huge power diff.. Might be something to consider. But using the pole saw on the ground, well that leads to another story that doesn't need repeating!!! Lets just say, don't try it!!!
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Certainly something to consider johnneybe. Not much wieght diff. between the 30cc and 50cc saws, but a huge power diff.. Might be something to consider. But using the pole saw on the ground, well that leads to another story that doesn't need repeating!!! Lets just say, don't try it!!!
Andy

Good point Andy. Prunners are neat and fun reaching up with but to use on the ground, no no no, too much of a hassle........

probably bad practice and lazy to use a chainsaw for pruning the branches from small trees and shrubs?

johnnybe said:
probably bad practice and lazy to use a chainsaw for pruning the branches from small trees and shrubs?

Well don't know about lazy and all that but prunners are made mostly for reaching up, not pointing in the ground. The shaft on the prunner isn't going to take the beating of a regular chainsaw either. Lets say for instance you pinch your prunner and need to get it out. Its not going to take the yanking and pulling that a chainsaw will. Use them for what they're made for and you will love the prunners. Neat machine indeed..

sawinredneck said:
Andy

...you mean fallen stuff that's totally on the ground? ..that sounds far too easy to poke the saw in the ground...or someone's bum!

is the small affixed low level stuff OK? ...i guess the bum would still be in play.

THALL10326 said:
If you want to reach up and saw some limbs yeah. The Km130 with a prunner is one bad little chain saw from the gound up to about 10-13 feet or so. It won't do you much good for ground work, kinda long for that......

Hey, how many extensions can you add? Hmmmmm, Got about 20 in the store... about 3 feet each... :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Hey, how many extentions can you add? Hmmmmm, Got about 20 in the store... about 3 feet each... :hmm3grin2orange:

...sounds like a good addition to the Timbersport circuit....you get points for height of cut and speed. ...would you go overhand or underhanded like those guys that do that underhanded log throw from the crotch? ...hmmm...

johnnybe said:
...you mean fallen stuff that's totally on the ground? ..that sounds far too easy to poke the saw in the ground...or someone's bum!

is the small affixed low level stuff OK? ...i guess the bum would still be in play.

Anything you cannot reach with a regular chainsaw safely from the ground, use the pole pruner. If it's on the ground well..........:deadhorse:
I went to do a "small trim job" for a lady once, my fault I know, and just took the pole saw. She was tired of having leaves hit her in the head wilst mowing. No biggie. Some of these "little" limbs where pretty large on the ground and would not fit on the trailer. Should have just driven home and grabbed a chainsaw, but that redneck mentality took over "run whatcha brung or don't go at all". Well you cannot control the silly thing while trying to piece stuff and ballance these things, just pinched the bar, bounced all over the place, ran into the ground more times than I can count, and generally reall mucked the whole thing up:hmm3grin2orange:
Point being, DON'T BE A REDNECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy

It makes for a great ground machine clearing fence lines in Texas when you use the 90 degree gearhead on the Kombi System.

johnnybe said:
...sounds like a good addition to the Timbersport circuit....you get points for height of cut and speed. ...would you go overhand or underhanded like those guys that do that underhanded log throw from the crotch? ...hmmm...

...or maybe just height...like the pole vault...you have to cut a certain diameter log in 30 seconds...from the ground of course...and you keep adding 3 foot extensions to the pole saw until only one logger remains....hmmm...

More power to ya!

Noticed that in the owners manual specs it's rated at 1.9bhp, not 1.7... :chainsaw:

I've got the stihl 'wishbone' grass blade on it at the moment... but haven't even fired it up yet. :buttkick:

Chaser

THALL10326 said:
Use them for what they're made for and you will love ....

That's good advice for any machine or tool. Yeah, you can pound nails with a wrench, but...

Lakeside53 said:
Hey, how many extensions can you add? Hmmmmm, Got about 20 in the store... about 3 feet each...

Hold it right there, buddy!

Those extensions are not YOURS to play with. Did you forget that you are a mere employee? Hmmmm?

:hmm3grin2orange:

BlueRidgeMark said:
Hold it right there, buddy!

Those extensions are not YOURS to play with. Did you forget that you are a mere employee? Hmmmm?

:hmm3grin2orange:

uh oh - BUSTED

My bad... we aren't paid to think:monkey:

Quicking thinking meer employe response:

"I was meerly thinking about it!"

Echos dedicated Pole Pruner goes out to like 18ft with a max recommended one extension. ...how come the multi tools only have a max recommended length of like 12ft? ...sounds like a legal liability concern....can i just go for it until it feels unstable? Can I get a package deal on the head unit and all 20 extensions? I was gonna learn how to climb but i really don't like heights...

Back