Knot question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeypuzzle

monkeypuzzle

ArboristSite Guru
When you're labled a ''snake botherer'' in 4 counties by the Game and Fresh Water Fish Comm. you have to keep a low profile. There is only one thing I hate more than a snake killer,and that is a snake killing game warden. :mad:

lync

ArboristSite Operative
Thinking out of the box

On a previous thread Rob Murphy posted this photo which made my light bulb go on! I too was using the distal and advancing it by hand with a long bridge. His way you can set it up short with the micro pully right below the knot, but by tying into the other half of your line as illustrated you can self advance your hitch and make a large gain on each pull while body thrusting . Thanks Rob.

Corey
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=23160

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
Super Advancing of Distal

Hello Climbers-
Some of you might find this interesting. I also use the Distal. The one I currently use is by 3/8" UULS (UULS is Ultra Ultra Low Stretch) polyester/polyester double-braid by Yale Cordage. The sling I use to tie it is about 25 inches long with an eye spliced on each end.
The splice has a few advantages. The first being the neatness/tidyness of not having to have a knot there. Secondly, and more importantly, the area just a few inches below each eye (the throat, as it is sometimes referred to as) is a bit stiff from the splice. When advancing the hitch by pulling the tail end of the rope that is hanging from the slack-tending pulley, the stiffness actually pushes the Distal open just a tiny bit so that my climbing line just slips right through! I've been watching this closely for a few months now in several different types of rope and so far none of the splices have inhibited the hitch from grabbing on to my climbing line.
Has anyone else tried this yet?

love
nick

mikecross23

mikecross23

ArboristSite Guru
Nick,
I take it the "Splicer for higher" splices his own.:) The stiffness of the splice does seem to helps push the distel open to advance. I have been using the spliced ultra tech cord from sherrill. It's a nice set up, but the cord is a little long. I also just ordered some cord to tie my own tress cords. Double fisherman's knots. Maybe I can educate myself and start practicing splicing to eventually trust my own! Do you have any good resources for splicing instructions?

Thanks,
-Mike-

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
I tried making one using 8mm Sta Set about a month ago, but I use a shorter tres cord than you. I prefer mine about 21.5" eye-to-eye so I don't have as much slop when pulling the tail of my rope to advance my hitch. The stiff areas approaching each splice interfered with my hitch grabbing/ releasing and I didn't bother trying a longer one. I'll live with the knots for now since I can burn out a tres cord in a day when I'm hustling and average about a week per cord.

Mike, here's the best splicing page I've found, for Sta-Set use the double braid polyester splice.
http://www.neropes.com/splice/default.htm

MasonGrey

MasonGrey

ArboristSite Lurker
Where can I find some of this 8mm and 9mm Sta Set? Also been practicing some of my knots here and another question has arisen. The split tail that I use does not have an eye spliced at either end and I attach it to my biner with a buntline hitch. Has anyone had any experience with this knot creeping? I would feel safer backing it with a stopper knot but it just takes up so much more space. Is there another knot that would be more suitable for this application?

BigJohn

BigJohn

ArboristSite Guru
I've used the sta set for awhile and it worked great. Now that I am using the Fly I needed something more durable. Now I found that the 3/8 double braid from Samson works great. I use a double fishermans and if I have the time I stitch the ends with some spectra so the eyes can't close and the tail won't creep.

Big John

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
How about....

Anyone else tried the UULS 3/8th polyester double braid from Yale? I like it about 24" long with an eye spliced on each end.

love
nick

NickfromWI

NickfromWI

Addicted to ArboristSite
In case there was no sarcasm....

and that was an authentic question....yes, UULS=Ultra Ultra Low Stretch.

Check it out some time. It's a bit nubby. It grabs good, and let's go good.

love
nick

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
I was kidding about the low strength, I didn't think they would emphasize that in the name, but i'm not familiar with Yales stuff.
The rope is a high molecular density rope, no?
I find there is a place for these ropes in aboroculture, but they are not abrasion resistant. The best ones are those with a polyester jacket, like Ultra-tech.
Guys have mentioned about using Tenex because it's cheap and easy to splice, which I apprciate, but their needs would be better served using a little more expensive cords, that will last and be much stronger for the size.

Latest posts