Lacebark Elm and yellowing leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
JUst got two small lacebark elms as seedlings (about 24" tall) that I have put in pots w/ Miraclegro's Tree & Shrub soil. I put them in about two weeks ago and they are not doing too well now- both have yellowing leaves on the lower branches that are dropping. Any idea what's causing it? I'm thinking it could either be from the week long drizzling rain we had here, the girdling roots that I should remove, or the potting soil may be too rich for the tree.

Sorry- can't post any pics.

Over watering can cause leaves to yellow and drop. But two weeks seems like to short a time for that unless the tree is in standing water.
I'd carefully remove one tree from the soil and see what's going on with the roots.
It could just be some transplant shock and/or change of environment. Some pictures sure would help.

I was going to ask if they were inside, but I guess the rain wouldn't be a factor then, huh? Are they getting enough light?

BrianL said:
the girdling roots that I should remove,
Much better to straighten these than remove them. Should be done asap. Check New Tree Planting in the link below.

treeseer said:
Much better to straighten these than remove them. Should be done asap. Check New Tree Planting in the link below.

I tried straightening last night and it didn't work; after about a 1/2 hour, I gave up since it looked like I was doing more harm then good. Judging by how compact the roots are, I would say these were grown in 3" planter pots.

Hard to say without p[ictures, but if the trees are 2' tall and the roots are kinked in 3" circles, it sounds like you have irreparable trash on your hands.

something else to check

This might sound weird but it's becoming more of a problem with the volume of cheaper pots being sold.

Ensure there are drain holes in the bottom of the pot. In many there is none or a small one in the middle!

And have some larger gravel in the bottom to assist with draining, then soil on top.

And don't plant your tree too deep.

Add a little wetting agent every now and then when you water as potting mixes have a bad habit of becoming hydrophobic.

I snipped the girdling roots short about 2 weeks ago (wanted to give the seedlings a last chance before scrapping them) and they are looking real good now- no more leaves dropping and the yellowed ones are regaining their green coloration.

Back