Large Pine Tree - SUGGESTIONS??? (merged)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Pine Tree - SUGGESTIONS???

Hello every one

Alright, i am college student, and i have a small brush clearing business that i have going employee my friends, and i make a bunch of money off the top all is happy...well a friend dad asked me to cut down this tree...any suggestions on how to do it..

I am expecting, people to right to leave it up to the experts...i have fell numerous trees...since i was a kid...and i am young and little crazy...and want to cut this down bad...

Looking for suggestions from the pros, on how to take this down safely

Thanks
for any suggestions

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I wish I knew you were joking! That is either a crane, climb, rig and rope each peice of that tree down!!!
Seriously, walk away from that one!!! The power lines are close enough to be a factor, the deck sits out to far to propperly top it and safely clear, In my opinion at least. Oh yeah, don't forget, that very nice house four feet away!
Crane, or climb and rig it is the only way, bu I would get in the car and go, far away!

I guess they didn't teach you how to spell "write" in college.

That tree looks pretty simple to me. I would just hook up there and limb it up as I go. They about 15 or 20 fee from the top I would notch that out into the yard. Then I would come down 4 or 5 feet since you dont have seasoned grown men and I would block that section down with a lowering line and pulley. I would continue down until I no longer had clearance to block it. I would be fairly close to bottom by then so I woud cut short pieces and hand them down to ground crew or throw them. Maybe if there was a tree with a high enough croth close enough you could swing some out into the yard. Hard say. For me about a half hour and done.

honestly, i'd quote him for the tree and add in the cost of replacing several planks of deck wood. then i'd pull that sucker over with a truck and simply rebuild the damaged part of the deck. that's your easiest cheapest way. otherwise you'll need a crane and that's alot of $$$.

I guess they didn't teach you how to spell "write" in college.

That tree looks pretty simple to me. I would just hook up there and limb it up as I go. They about 15 or 20 fee from the top I would notch that out into the yard. Then I would come down 4 or 5 feet since you dont have seasoned grown men and I would block that section down with a lowering line and pulley. I would continue down until I no longer had clearance to block it. I would be fairly close to bottom by then so I woud cut short pieces and hand them down to ground crew or throw them. Maybe if there was a tree with a high enough croth close enough you could swing some out into the yard. Hard say. For me about a half hour and done.

bigjohn, you're full of it. that can't be done as you described in a half hour. if you can do those jobs that quick, then i got a ton of work for you down south.

Half hour may be a little exaggeration, but shouldn't take more than and hour. Good groundies are key. Could you even get a crane in there with those power lines? Either set up a speedline or rope it down on itself.

A crane is not needed. I would do it similar to big John. I would take an hour and a half.

Since you're in the San Diego area

I suggest you sub the climbing/rigging out to me for $300.00

Looks like about 2-3 hours.

Where is it, Laguna's, Quyamaca's, Palomar?

Easy half day job depending on location.

PM me.

jomoco

Big John can do it in a half hour because he counts and adds as well as he spells. He rags on the guy for a spelling mistake and then makes a fistful himself.:D

Just to buy the necessary gear for that job is going to be more than the value of the job. Do you have insurance for work like this? Not a tree to be learning on, and especially not one to be doing without insurance.

I'd like to give you credit for being in college and getting jobs. When I was in school I, and many of my classmates would do stuff like this on a regular basis. However we already had the skill sets to do the job safely. The ones who didn't have the skills would either call in those with the skills, or would pass... or whatever.

Come on now Steve!! A half hour might be an exageration, might be 40 minutes. You never know when the ground help will slow you down. If you lolly gag then it may take and hour. I wouldnt turn that chaing saw until I hit the top where I would shut it off to put my climbing line around and blow the top. I can lace up log to be drop crotched faster then you can tie your shoes.

Bigjohn, how much would you charge for that tree, if you don't mind me asking. I'm curious, because I know I could do that tree safely, but I'm not that fast.

You have to give it to Canyon, the guy does have some big b@lls:D wanting to learn on that tree.

i am young and little crazy...and want to cut this down bad...Thanks
for any suggestions
Here's a suggestion--cut a bigger hole in the deck and leave the tree alone. It's worth thousands of dollars and would take over $1000 to remove--why in the world do the owners want it down?

As for your sawdust lust:angry: , maybe you can find another tree?

I was thinking the same thing. There's a few other pines around there that could give that cabin a good whack, why worry about that one?

Hey BIGDONG I think our full of it! :buttkick: Ill put money down that you couldnt get 1/2 that tree done in a half hour, SAFELY, and with NO damage to any targets!!!!!

Ill bet you what that tree is worht in the Boston market...$$$$$

Yeah, I'm with you Jon. I'd say about an hour though. Bomb the brush being the deck looks solid and those brances are light. Notch the top out to the back righ of the house, keep on cutting to let the butt come free and give a quick nedge to the butt for a little extra clearance. Cut and chuck those logs almost all the way down. For comfort though, you can add a second line for doing the top at the butt end for a groundie to pull it out from over the deck. Do it in the morning and with some luck your coffee won't even get cold.
This is all provided thought that you don't have a wind blowing into the house. Too many windows to be bombing brush then.

Last edited:
Pine removals

Hard to tell with the photos about the size. With a double leader tree it's like really two removals. Looks close to the edge of the deck and railling, that a good thing. Get a rope in one lead really high. Have someone pull it over as soon as it's cut and push the butt away from the railling.
The tree leader only looks to be about 6" across in the photo.
With large trees, with decks around them we climb them and chunk them down using a rope to swing the chunk away or a speedline to get the chunk away from the deck or house.

bostonbull, I second that!!! 1/2 hour uhh? come on big john,hell it will take a 1/2 hour if your chain pops off the saw to send it down, fix it and send it back up( ok maybe this is an exaggeration) but so is 1/2 hour.

realistically find someone with the know how that will price it right help them & learn something.

climb020, bomb the brush cause the deck looks solid!!!! what!!! the key to professionalism is opposite from what you suggest. But guys like you are the reason my business does good. remember word of mouth!!!

take care be safe................................LXT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back