Larger saw carb governor questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
How many of you disable the governor valve on your carbs for the tilly HS and walbro WS? I find that they often kick in at too few rpm, making tuning difficult at best, and not knowing were exactly the saw is running at.

For example, i reinstalled the walbro ws26 on my 076 and the governor kicks in at 8500. That is were i have it for now and i test cut with it and its a fat pig. I used to have a tilly hs on it and it kicked in at 9500, still short of the factory spec that if i remember right is 10500.

So how many of you disable these things to make your life easier? It wont hurt the saw if you have it adjusted to factory spec without the governor, will it? (I cant possibly see how but ive been wrong before)

If there working correctly I don't have a problem with them but it does make em harder to tune and you have to tune them in the wood.

But.... I have had some go bad and cause problems and on most of my saws I'm disableing them and not looking back.

I do have a couple that I do want to leave the governor in place and working and for example my Wright 100 blade saw needs the speed kept in check on it and my older slower reving Poulan 71-A will get its kept in place also.

Never worked on a governed Walbro yet, but the four or five governed Tillies I have are all blocked off. Makes it kinda hard to tune a modified saw otherwise.

Defeating the governor won't hurt the saw if it's tuned properly as long as you're careful to not hold it at WOT with little or no load on the engine so as to overspeed it.

Back