Largest diameter tree I have ever cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
27914CEA-2682-45A1-9DB1-AD371698CBB3.jpeg A5D42446-3105-487F-B9AD-C5A043FED278.jpeg B7D09C01-B040-4929-9133-FA470C0DA759.jpeg i do believe this is the largest diameter tree I have ever cut. It was for a friend where I work. A biggen limb fell out of it a little more than a year ago and he had a tree company take it down to the trunk. I’m not sure why the didn’t take it lol the way down. Anyway it was 71” diameter but only 11’ tall. Just a trunk. After getting it down. We noodled it into manageable chunks. 12 - 14 chunks per round. I’m guessing each chunk was still 150 lbs. I wish I would have snapped a picture of me with it laying on the ground, it was as tall as I am laying on its side.
I’m sure this is small compared to what some of you guys have been into. So what’s the biggest tree you have ever cut?

I didn't really consider this a big tree, but stump wise, it's probably in my top 10.
1T3cgTJ.jpg

We had a couple cotton woods a little bigger than that were in our side yard on the farm. I had a guy that had a Stihl 90 with a 60 inch bar take them down. He went up in a bucket truck and took a couple tree size limbs down first and then we hooked a cable on it and a 150 HP farm tractor on and made sure it went to the road and not on the house or pole building. I was glad when they were both down and no body hurt or no buildings taken out. We did this 13 years ago when the road was close for bridge construction so we had time to clean them up out of the road.

I dropped a 7' Doug Fir once when I was logging on the southern Oregon coast in the early 1980s. I was not a faller, but was asked if I wanted to try it, and I jumped at the chance. Had a real pro faller backing me up and giving pointers. I think it was a Stihl 090 I was using. 60" bar... I remember I had trouble setting the 1st cut because the saw was so heavy and I was so nervous! :chainsaw: I was worn out by the time it went over, but it did go where we wanted it to...

I didnt measure it with a tape measure, but it was a whitepine and it took me, my brother and one more person to reach around it. Had a sthil 027av with a 18in bar. Took a while to whittle it down. The butt cut and two logs from the top loaded the truck. My grandpaw had a old frick sawmill and he cussed us out when we dropped the logs at the mill. He had to run the log one pass thru the mill and then finish ripping it with a chainsaw. Lot of work in those logs, but it made a lot of clear 12in boards.

I didnt measure it with a tape measure, but it was a whitepine and it took me, my brother and one more person to reach around it. Had a sthil 027av with a 18in bar. Took a while to whittle it down. The butt cut and two logs from the top loaded the truck. My grandpaw had a old frick sawmill and he cussed us out when we dropped the logs at the mill. He had to run the log one pass thru the mill and then finish ripping it with a chainsaw. Lot of work in those logs, but it made a lot of clear 12in boards.
We just wrestled a big Sycamore on my buddy's Frick yesterday. No fun trying to move and roll them but you sure get a good workout! We've been using my chainsaw mill to break them down to more manageable sizes.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

This maple I took down this spring. Was supposed to just trim the limb on the right side near the street as it was separating and leaning further out, then the homeowner said take it all down. Never measured it but it's around 5' by just over 7'. Stump is still about a foot high unless it's been ground out.

32754011_10214001124400466_8253914054616154112_n (1).jpg

20180507_093954.jpg Nothing like you guys are talking about. This white oak came from the neighbors yard. This was the top of the trunk. At the bottom running a 24 from both sides would get rounds off but just barely. Wish I had the 7910 then but the ported 590 got it done.

I took a 40" highly valuable bw today, about 70+ tall, maybe a little more depending on what side of the hill you were standing on. 4" of cadmium otherwise completely rotten in the middle. Not super big but pretty nerve wrecking

Nothing too crazy here. I've cut a few in the 48"-52" range. My biggest bar is 32", so minus the dogs I could cut around a 5'er if need be.

Back