Latest on land clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davec

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't posted on this for a stretch, so here's some updates...

There was a pause of a month or two from when we stopped cutting trees in Feb until snow melted and it dried up enough to get trucks in ~late March-April. We started pulling wood from down low, where there wasn't as much and then worked our way up the driveway, which was also light on wood. At the top of the driveway there was a ton of oak to pull out. So we worked around with the stumps in the way for a while until I decided that we needed a clear path - especially on the driveway if we were going to make 5000 trips up and down the hill.

So I needed a stump grinder! Went to rent a "small one" as there wasn't too much that needed to go (I thought). I looked at the rental and even asked the guy "does this really work?" Yah sure, you betcha. Riiiiight. Well after 15 min, i could have done more damage to the stump with my fingernails, and - seriously - that isn't much of an exaggeration... Took it back, told them to not bother renting it to anyone EVER and asked for the big one. Now that one worked. I was able to take out a lot of tire-killing small stumps and one monster 24"+ oak stump that was right in the middle. It worked but not fastest. We now had a good path to the top. That worked for a while, but then we needed to move more onto the plateau. More stumps. I took a week off work and got the tractor out there to move a lot of the crappy basswood out of the way and pile brush, plus cutting stumps. Let me tell you: There is nothing more fun than cutting stumps :dizzy: At least with a 660 and 32" skip tooth.... My Gawd did I need every inch of that bar as many of the oak stumps were monsters at the base. I quickly learned to pre-quarter the big stumps before cutting them flush and to use wedges to stop the bar from pinching.

The tractor forks work OK for brush, but it depends on what you have. Loose brush? Not so good. Big piles of brush? Really good. Because you can't grab stuff like with a grapple bucket, the looser stuff just tends to fall away. I ended up piling it on the forks by hand and then hauling it to the big burn pile. Here's a pic of what we had in store after the snow melted in March from the top of the "driveway" (see the tiny truck waaay down there?):

attachment.php

This is more towards the plateau, same time:

attachment.php

Most everything is either oak or basswood. There is some small cherry and a few others like an occasional boxwood and elm, but it's mainly basswood and oak.

After the big tractor session, I rented a much larger stump grinder and spent 10 hrs one day grinding stumps. The results are in the pic below. Again the intent was to clear truck access more than making it pretty. So we cleared a lot... Here's what it looked like in May after the week off and the major tractor and stump grinder session. Pics from top of driveway.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We've made a lot of progress so far. More has been cleared since those pics. Probably about 2/3 of the usable firewood has been pulled out so far. The problem the past few weeks has been rain. The hill is impassable when it is even slightly wet, so any rain kills entry...and it has been raining a lot lately. So that last 1/3 is still there, but hopefully we can get back in to pull it out soon. We now have an old Farmi Skidding winch, thanks to CurlyCherry that should be operational this weekend, so that will help pull a few logs out of the way. We'll see how that works out soon (hopefully Sun as we have a break i the rain...). More to come, including pics of the massive firewood pile we have going already....

If you are wondering what it looked like before, just look into the woods surrounding. That is basically what the entire lot was like at the beginning.

-Dave

Last edited:
hehehe, In the goold old days you could just use dynamite on those stumps! :hmm3grin2orange:

Real boxwood? I'd love to get some, I use it for decorative pieces on pipes, like this:

Perhaps a deal can be made.

Jack

Sorry - typo on my part. I was thinking basswood and typing Box Elder and out came boxwood... I meant to say box elder. I can't say that I know what boxwood is.

Nice work on the pipe!

Looking good - I like the panoramic pics!

Yeah the camera does them automatically now. You put it in panorama mode, take the first pic, then move one direction until the tracer dot hits the crosshairs on the screen and then it automatically takes the second shot, then repeat for #3. Then it stitches them together in the camera in a few seconds. Pretty cool, and it isn't a high end camera either.

-Dave

Here's a look at the woodpile from this... so far. This is probably about 2/3 of what we had on the ground. A chunk more to go, and then there will be more trees coming out after I get some degree of surveying done to get my house corner and driveway bearings pinned down a bit better.

Everything in the larger pile on the left is oak. The pile on the right is oddballs and maple & cherry.
attachment.php

This is the larger pile on the left:
attachment.php

It has been hot and muggy here and so as Assistant #1 to this land clearning madness I have unwilling to get out and pull wood. Last weekend it would have been perfect hauling time but Davec was on vacation with his family (the bum) and we got about 8-10" of rain. That shut me down from hauling anything. My yard which is where we are storing the hauled wood had standing water in the driveway to the wood up until Thursday. Now that it is dry, it is too hot for us wimps to work.

It has been hot and muggy here and so as Assistant #1 to this land clearning madness I have unwilling to get out and pull wood. Last weekend it would have been perfect hauling time but Davec was on vacation with his family (the bum) and we got about 8-10" of rain. That shut me down from hauling anything. My yard which is where we are storing the hauled wood had standing water in the driveway to the wood up until Thursday. Now that it is dry, it is too hot for us wimps to work.

While some lazy bums sit in air conditioned comfort, the rest of us are gittin' r' done!

Here's a truckload from today. For giggles I stopped at a truck stop and got weighed. Turns out this was about 4000 lbs of green oak (plus a tiny bit of cherry)! Yikes! Jeesh - only about 2k over the rating... ah well, it seems to handle it OK, but I might take a bit less on future runs to keep the truck happy for the long run.

attachment.php

I pulled away after unloading and took a couple more shots from about 50' away. Everything in the first shot is oak. The stuff in the pile under the pallet is maple cherry and oddballs.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The only problem now is that it rained buckets this afternoon, so I can't get into the land for at least a couple days until it dries out a bit.

-Dave

There is nothing more fun than cutting stumps ...

...only if you bring a snorkel.:)

Seriously though you did a heck of a nice job cleaning up that area.

nice load of wood. what size truck is that. i have 1500 chevy had a load of split oak stacked all the way to the top. big load, now i use a trailer. if ya need help im just over the border

Murph - It's a 2005 F250, but with the rare 8' bed. I got the long bed for lumber hauling and I really like it. I am weight limited more than volume limited with firewood (green). As it was in this pic, I wasn't up to the rafters but I was waaay overweight. Green oak is mega heavy. There is some cherry out there, but not a lot. That is much lighter. The basswood and poplar is like lifting feathers after dealing with the oak.

You have an OWB or anything that you are willing to burn basswood or poplar in? I have scads of that stuff that needs to go, but I know it is weak sauce as far as firewood goes so it is free for the taking.

-Dave

Murph - It's a 2005 F250, but with the rare 8' bed. I got the long bed for lumber hauling and I really like it. I am weight limited more than volume limited with firewood (green). As it was in this pic, I wasn't up to the rafters but I was waaay overweight. Green oak is mega heavy. There is some cherry out there, but not a lot. That is much lighter. The basswood and poplar is like lifting feathers after dealing with the oak.

You have an OWB or anything that you are willing to burn basswood or poplar in? I have scads of that stuff that needs to go, but I know it is weak sauce as far as firewood goes so it is free for the taking.

-Dave

sounds nice. i installed heavier leaf springs one mine that really help. put more air in my tires. downside is my tires are wearing quicker. i have a new woodstock soap stone stove.

Dave, Nice work. :clap: Where are you hauling the wood to and from?

The future home to the current home? Looks like you're going to be set up for awhile.

Dave, Nice work. :clap: Where are you hauling the wood to and from?
The future home to the current home? Looks like you're going to be set up for awhile.

He is hauling it to my back yard. Here is a pic of what we have hauled so far. When we get it all out I will forget that I know him and I will be set for heating wood for a decade. :biggrinbounce2:

attachment.php

A bit more work this weekend. It was the Death to Poplars Festival. We dropped and winched up 15-20 large poplars.

Here's before...note the stand of poplars in the center at the far edge of the clearing.

attachment.php

And here's a panorama of After. Note all the trees missing in the background that now appear in a few nice piles in the foreground...They would mainly be in the middle at the far end in this photo.

attachment.php

In the panorama you may notice the one white stick poking up way back. One of the poplars was a leaner and decided to split and slab up during the backcut. Fortunately no injuries from that.... yeesh:dizzy:

And a close-up of the new log pile. This was about 4 hours worth of winching.

attachment.php

I took a video of the winch in action. I was working the winch at the same time as taking the video, so...well you get what you get... I didn't realize that the log that CurlyCherry (working the far end) hooked up this time was pencil thick as I couldn't see where he was, but you can see all the others that we had pulled out before in this first batch that were much larger. This old winch works wonders.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid226.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fdd141%2Fdstig1%2Fchainsaw%2FSkiddingvideo7-25-10.mp4">

Back